Cost effective air strut repair

1998LSC

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to Flexseal a strut? Mine has devoloped a slow leak due to its age and the good old Missouri road salt.

Soon after making that post yesterday, i ran up to the local Walmart and picked up a can of flexseal. Going to put a few layers on the strut that i could remove and I'll post the results

1529609343447-980018520.jpg

I wonder if the rubber can be replaced. On my Land Rover, I can just get a kit to replace the rubber portion. The problem is that usually when an airstrut's rubber is leaking, the absorber portion has also reaching end of life.

I wonder if the rubber can be replaced. On my Land Rover, I can just get a kit to replace the rubber portion. The problem is that usually when an airstrut's rubber is leaking, the absorber portion has also reaching end of life.
well said

I tried to buy new and Autozone isn't working as it should. In the meantime I was thinking of temporarily trying the slime. my understanding is that is stays liquid. I understand how the air is vented, still a bit concerned of it getting into the air lines?
I've read that you remove the shock put in the slime (how much) they come in different size bottles? Then roll the shock around to distribute the slime evenly.

My strut is weird - it holds the air but when I raise the strut with the jack you can hear it leak out quickly. Lower the jack and it stops. I couldn't find where it was leaking and used a shirt on the back of the air bag and it appears to be leaking from the bottom inside closest to the car frame.

Members online

Back