COPS issue?

toomanyfumes

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well after having my LS for a year and a half with no problems I guess I was due. Driving to work car started missing. On the way home the Check engine wrench lights up and it won't go over 40 MPH. My friend has a Ford code reader so we'll check it out tomorrow.

Good news is I found a set of '06 Sport 17" rims on Ebay with tires for $300 including shipping. They're en route now.

Well after having my LS for a year and a half with no problems I guess I was due. Driving to work car started missing. On the way home the Check engine wrench lights up and it won't go over 40 MPH. My friend has a Ford code reader so we'll check it out tomorrow.

Good news is I found a set of '06 Sport 17" rims on Ebay with tires for $300 including shipping. They're en route now.

But you titled this COPS ISSUE? Did the cops get you for that or what?

Today the car runs fine. I don't know if it has to do with the 14" of snow we got, maybe something under the hood got wet. For now I keep driving it...

Probably a coil on the way out. I'm going through that right now. Going to order Accels tomorrow. Just gotta find the part # again.

Today the car runs fine. I don't know if it has to do with the 14" of snow we got, maybe something under the hood got wet. For now I keep driving it...

You probably do have a coil failing. If you let it go long enough, your expensive catalytic converter(s) will be damaged and have to be replaced.

Yeah but if the car's running OK I shouldn't damage the cats right?'
If I hear it missing or the check engine light comes on I'll stop driving it.

I have 100K on my LS and dreading this issue. How much does it cost to make this repair when it shows up.

How much are the Accel's pektel? Some guys say to use OEM but if they failed after 5 years is that how long the new one's will last? Local parts store wants almost $90 a coil which sounds high and I don't know what brand they are.

Accels are about 200-250 per set of 8. YOu will have to retrofit a little though. They aren't a direct plug and play. Mixed reviews on them as well, but the ones I have talked to personally have had good luck.

get the new cops

get the coils on ebay on the cheap or from another member. New platinum plugs and check for oil in the plug wells, you may need new gaskets too. Its not that difficult to change all this yourself.

I see Maxx at five star has them for less than $50 dollars. Will do plugs, being an '05 I hope I don't need the gaskets.

I just had the misfiring problem.. It even messed up my drivers side cat (just gives me a reason to run a full custom exhaust). What I had to do was get all new coils (less than 125 shipped from global-automotive off of eBay), new valve cover gaskets (about 90 for both), and new e3 plugs.. I think there is a noticeable difference in power now. Chances are you don't need the gaskets because they revised them.. They went from gray to black.. If you get a code for misfiring, hit it soon because if you wait to long, stock cats are about 600 a piece.

Members online

No members online now.
Back