COP wiring.

According to the diagram for a 2001 V6 power is supplied through fuse F112(10amp hot in start or run) to the Green/(Many different tracer colors for each coil) which is pin #2 in all the connectors. Then the Brown/(Many different tracer colors again),which is Pin #1, runs to the PCM.

According to the diagram for a 2001 V6 power is supplied through fuse F112(10amp hot in start or run) to the Green/(Many different tracer colors for each coil) which is pin #2 in all the connectors. Then the Brown/(Many different tracer colors again),which is Pin #1, runs to the PCM.

So hot(positive)[green] is a constant supply and the ECU controls the coil by grounding(negative)[brown] the coil right.?

Correct is his wiring is correct

Well if that is correct then that explains why mustang coils aren't working well on my v6 because the polarity is wrong. I'll have to reverse the pins and see if that helps.

SUCCESS, it worked. She purrs like a kitten now. Pulls into the triple digits with ease!

The trick to making the V6 work with mustang coils is by swapping the pins on the connector.

I'll make a small write-up of how to do this, with pictures, so that any v6 LS can use aftermarket coils. I used accel coils I bought off Pektel to do it. I'll write it up in a day or two so I can drive it more to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

What did you do for the boot out of curiosity?

The coil boot? I reused the stock ones, same for the springs(wires). I will include how I modified the coils too, it was rather easy. There is some fabrication work involved though.

Here's a teaser:

CIMG_2011-03-12-153205.jpg

THIS IS A ROUGH DRAFT VERSION OF PART ONE OF THREE I'LL BE DOING

Here is what you start with and it should look like when done

CIMG_2011-03-12-153103.jpg

I placed a flat head screw driver under the end where the retaining clip is, pry up the red piece trying not to break it

CIMG_2011-03-12-153116.jpg

It will come out part way then stop again. Continue to pry it out, maybe using a figure to help pull the other side up. If you break this clip this step is where you will do it so take you time. If you break it, it's not the end of the world, it will still work.

CIMG_2011-03-12-153132.jpg

Here's the piece when it's out.

CIMG_2011-03-12-153153.jpg

Now the wire connectors are still being held in there by another very small clip. I used a probe from a multi meter(because the multi-meter was broke) to push the clips up. Anything small with a point will work. A flathead screwdriver meant for glasses would be great. The clip is about a quarter of the way in and is hard to see. You will need a flashlight to see it.

Push the tip of the probe(or screwdriver, whatever fits) towards the metal part of the connector and slid it back until you feel it hit the plastic tab then pry the tab away from the metal part of the connector while pulling the wire back out of the connector.

CIMG_2011-03-12-153225.jpg

Once the connectors are out, all you have to do is switch them(left to right, right to left). Don't twist them as the will only go in one way.

CIMG_2011-03-12-153309.jpg

Put the red(in my case) piece back in and reconnect the coil. Verify that the + side of the coil connector matches with the green wire.
CIMG_2011-03-12-153636.jpg

Argh! The v8 seems to use different pins.. or different colored pins.. mine has a yellow bottom then a ring in the back - ill see if I can get a photo up.

As an alternative to digging into the connectors themselves I'm going to make intermediate 'jumpers' to switch polarity. I'm sure there was a write-up on one way to do this that includes sources for the connectors themselves. But when I try to find the thread here all I find is a link to griffinparts who sell only the loom ends. The reference I saw here offered BOTH ends. I need a source for the sort of end that duplicates the coil connector. Can anyone give me a steer?

KS

F beans, I was just reading that thread a couple of days ago and now I cant find it...

for some reason I want to say Alax7 was the one who did that, but I can't promise that information to be accurate.

Members online

Back