Cooling System & Timing Chain Tensioners Inquiry

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is thinking of buying the '01 V8 (108k miles) that I looked at two weeks ago. Ever since I got the '02 V6 last summer, he's wanted an LS. I told him I drove that '01 V8 and walked away because of a steamy inside windshield and a bit of a rattle from the front of the engine. Stomping the accelerator at 25mph made the car hiccup badly as well.

Question: Is it that hard to change the Timing Chain Tensioners and replace the Cooling System? COP's would likely need replacing as well. What cost would these repairs come to for a DIY'er? He seems to think he could the car for $2500 but if a guy has to spend another $2000, it may not be worth it. I have the feeling I'd be helping him out with the job.....

anyone with general mechanic abilities and understanding (and tools) can complete what you've listed...

anyone with general mechanic abilities and understanding (and tools) can complete what you've listed...

Well, I have those skills but in the 4 years I have been his neighbor, I've never seen him wash a car. He does know how to drink beer and get high all day.

once you open that door to "I know how to work on LS's"...It never closes... Ask Hite!!!!

once you open that door to "I know how to work on LS's"...It never closes... Ask Hite!!!!

I just watched a short video of this being done on a Jaguar 3.9L and am certain it isn't a job I would want to do or be the lead mechanic on. He's on his own if he buys that LS.

Well, I have those skills but in the 4 years I have been his neighbor, I've never seen him wash a car. He does know how to drink beer and get high all day.

Your friend needs a Corolla, not an LS. They are cheap to operate, cheap to fix and run forever on little to no maintenance. This is right up the alley of someone who likes to smoke Bud while they drink Bud.

the last thing you want is a neighbor that is not a great mechanic, to buy a LS that needs a lot of work... unless you really like working on LS's

I'd be tempted to move if any of my neighbors bought an LS.

my cousin bough one (and not a very well taken care of ) and every damn week he was calling me describing of every single one of the LS's common problems, each time I would tell him its on here, go and search and youll find out how to fix it... never freaking did...

probably a good thing, cause then he would have just been a nother guy that hops on here, refuses to search for anything or read a sticky and would just create a new "this broke on my car today" BS thread.

he would have just been a nother guy that hops on here, refuses to search for anything or read a sticky and would just create a new "this broke on my car today" BS thread.

Im sure we would have been supportive :p

as far as the tensioners go, it's time consuming and hellish.
my father and i did the work ourselves, so i don't believe i spent over maybe $600.
my car runs better now than it did before though.

Saw a Bentley being built on "Supercars" on Smithsonian Channel. Guess who used plastic tensioners....

Saw a Bentley being built on "Supercars" on Smithsonian Channel. Guess who used plastic tensioners....

If auto makers made cars that did not need regular maintenance, they be going out of business. It's built-in obsolescence.

My neighbor is thinking of buying the '01 V8 (108k miles) that I looked at two weeks ago. Ever since I got the '02 V6 last summer, he's wanted an LS. I told him I drove that '01 V8 and walked away because of a steamy inside windshield and a bit of a rattle from the front of the engine. Stomping the accelerator at 25mph made the car hiccup badly as well.

Question: Is it that hard to change the Timing Chain Tensioners and replace the Cooling System? COP's would likely need replacing as well. What cost would these repairs come to for a DIY'er? He seems to think he could get the car for $2500 but if a guy has to spend another $2000, it may not be worth it. I have the feeling I'd be helping him out with the job.....

Well damn. That dealer still has that '01 V8 with 108k miles and he's marked it down to a price that now is enticing me. I'm thinking it could may be driven away for around $2100. It's one of those rare LS'es that you come across now and then that was obviously garage kept and well cared for. I may go back for another look and test drive. My question is - what would a shop charge to change out the Timing Tensioners? I'd probably tackle the Cooling System issues myself.

Members online

Back