Cooling System Stress Tested

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to drive through what seemed to be the bowels of hell to meet my folks at a doctors appointment. Of course, I was nervous but confident of my recent repairs. I monitored the temperature while I was driving going from an ambient temp at my house of 80 or so to 116 going up a hill in traffic. The temp was in the low 200s until I was pulling into a gas station and it rose to 225. I popped the hood and opened the bleeder (with a glove) and got a couple of nice spurts of air and the temp dropped to 214 pretty quickly.

When the external temp started rising to 100+, I was still under 220 as long as I was going 60+ mph. I really started to get nervous when the temp was rising over 225 again sitting in traffic. I turned off the A/C and turned on the heater and the temp peaked at 230 at 116 degrees and barely rolling up a hill in traffic. Once I started down the hill, the temp dropped pretty quickly to 212 or so but climbed again when I turned the A/C on.

I have read through many threads on here and this doesn't seem to far out of the ordinary. Of course, all the plastics have been replaced with Motorcraft and a new 3 row aluminum radiator.

I would presume that the system is working properly in that the temp does recover and 116 degree weather and sitting in traffic is the worst case scenario.

The only thing that crossed my mind when the temp jumped with the A/C on is that maybe the compressor is putting too much strain on the system, IOWs maybe the compressor is not turning (compressing) as efficiently as it should be. But I have no data to confirm that. The A/C blows very cold at 40 degrees (+/-) based on the thermometer in my vent.

So maybe now I should just stop obsessing and enjoy the ride! My anxiety was through the roof going up that hill!

Finally, it appears the oil on the exhaust manifolds has burned off and there are NO drips under the car after being parked for hours!!! The front and valve cover replacements appear to have been a success!!!

Yeah, I think you are okay now.
The compressor adds a load to the engine, and the condenser increases the air temperature going into the radiator quite a bit. This second part is the bigger factor on engine cooling. The PCM will turn the compressor off if it looks like the engine is going to get too hot.

Yeah, I think you are okay now.
The compressor adds a load to the engine, and the condenser increases the air temperature going into the radiator quite a bit. This second part is the bigger factor on engine cooling. The PCM will turn the compressor off if it looks like the engine is going to get too hot.
Thanks Joe!

That's a big help for my anxiety riddled OCD!

Good thing to know that the PCM will shut off the AC compressor when the temp gets too high.

After searching and reading threads on the cooling system, it is unbelievable how many there are.

There is one sticky on an 06 overheating but it isn't a very good thread in terms of information. It might be useful to put a sticky together linking to the top 3-4 cooling system threads that answer the basic questions including, but not limited to only using Motorcraft (and maybe Jag) parts, use the proper bleeding procedure, there is only one (1) fan (that's for you Joe!), the imprecise nature of the temp gauge, etc.

Who's in charge of stickies?

06 LS Almost Overheated

There are several links in this thread... for cooling system rebuilds.
Are you sure about that? There are no links in that thread. I was also wondering why it is a sticky.

Just trying to make it easier for most of you folks that respond to the same questions on the daily.

I put this thread together 5 years ago that links to all the other more comprehensive cooling system threads.

Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

There WERE links to other threads at some point. Maybe they were buried in other links... and now somehow deleted?

There was a website hack/reset at some point. Maybe that's why they aren't there.

There WERE links to other threads at some point. Maybe they were buried in other links... and now somehow deleted?

There was a website hack/reset at some point. Maybe that's why they aren't there.
None of the links have worked for like a year or more or so since they upgraded the forum, that screwed everything up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back