Cooling system again and again

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Last year, I replaced my water pump, thermostat, and related aspects of my 2004 V8 LS. The degas bottle, radiator, and hoses were replaced between 2014 and 2015. Recently (within the past 2-3 weeks) I noticed that the coolant level in my degas bottle was on the low side. I filled it to the cold markers with DI water and coolant mix. Later in the day after driving 45 mins, I noticed a puddle behind my driver's side front wheel.

I refilled with DI water and have driven several hundred miles over the past week or two. I refilled again last night and noticed another puddle after taking the kids to school . The car hasn't "overheated". That being said, I haven't monitored it with my OBD app.

Looking down behind the degas bottle, I see some coolant stains near the lower return nipple.

All that to say I am ordering a new degas bottle from ford parts giant today. I am moderately (or more) annoyed that this degas bottle was replaced 9/15 by the dealership with a Motorcraft bottle. Seems as though it should last longer than 3.5 years. I am getting new bottle from the local Lincoln dealership tomorrow.

Anything else that might be a source of the leakage?

Is there an overflow for the degas bottle? What happens if the degas bottle is overfilled?

Here’s a little video:

It vents through the pressure relief valve in the cap if/when needed. Any liquid would come out under/around the cap.

Thanks Joe,

I can't imagine any other place/part that would leak right behind the driver's side front wheel.

Hey joegr, not to assign fault to anyone who worked on this car, but could a bad mix ratio of water coolant (say water leaning) cause air pressure in the system and force it out of the release cap?

I'm thinking he needs to properly bleed the system and use premixed Gold OEM.

Hey joegr, not to assign fault to anyone who worked on this car, but could a bad mix ratio of water coolant (say water leaning) cause air pressure in the system and force it out of the release cap?

I'm thinking he needs to properly bleed the system and use premixed Gold OEM.

No. The mix does need to be correct, but AFAIK and have seen, it's going to hit 16 PSI once fully warmed up anyway. If it's not overfilled, that won't force any coolant out.
It's also possible that the cap is bad. I wonder if it was replaced? That said, both on mine are original and still fine.

I had a very similar situation with a 2000 3.8 ls. Great car til it starts to run hot and leave puddles I replaced the thermostat, degas bottle, hoses. All would be fine for a few days then it would happen again. I finally traced it to the auxiliary water pump that controls the heat function. Hope this helps

Anything else that might be a source of the leakage?

The bleed hose screw plug. Look for some white crust around it. The trick is to put an o-ring on the screw and tighten snugly... but don't over tighten or you will strip the plastic threads.

Last edited:
And/Or the o-ring gasket between the gooseneck and crossover pipe. It will leak and the coolant will travel across the block... and down the transmission housing behind the wheel. BTW... Your video wouldn't play.

Well here is what the degas bottle looks like that I took out of the car. This was supposedly changed 3 years ago. I even have the receipt.

5519637E-FFFD-470F-A317-91AED7651370.jpeg

295E49A7-725E-4CA2-98CE-886CF6687250.jpeg

Well the cap was definitely leaking a little. Not sure what I'm looking at on the degas... but keep in mind that most dealers don't keep a ready supply of LS parts in stock. They MAY have installed an aftermarket degas.

Look for any Jag/Ford/Motorcraft markings or part #s. If none... It might be an aftermarket bottle, and they are known for only lasting up to about 3 years.

If you can prove it's aftermarket... And you got billed for Motorcraft pricing... I would make issue with that to the dealer.

You can see the cracks on this shot. The stuff around the cap was from me spilling while filling. The bottle says “Ford” on it.

I can’t imagine an OEM bottle looking like this after 3 years.

E49FAAEB-2C8F-4433-AC30-9F82496BDA83.jpeg

Are you sure the vehicle isn't running hot?

Going by the gauge isn't exact. You may have other cooling system issues that is causing the vehicle to run slightly over temp... creating a slight over pressure issue.

Does it seem like the radiator fan is running more/louder than it should? The computer will cause the fan to compensate for an over temp issue in an attempt to keep the vehicle at normal temp.

If after the new degas is installed... you have no leaks... then you might want to consider changing the thermostat.

Either that, or the crossover pipe that holds the thermostat went bad inside... and the thermostat is wedged in a way that it won't open properly.

If after the new degas is installed... you have no leaks... then you might want to consider changing the thermostat...

It does seem like if it ever runs hot, the thermostat is damaged such that it opens at a higher temperature than it should.

My LS had been sitting because of this... Because I don't have time to work on it right now.

Temp gauge would climb quickly to normal temp... then drop half way... and climb back up to normal temp. Never showed overheating... But because of the symptom, I now have another leak to find.

Members online

Back