Cooling plastic parts

LunaEros

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of all the plastic parts for gen 1 and gen 2 cooling systems and who sells them all?

Do a search, there are lots of threads!

I did this thread that links to all the other threads.

Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

Vendors: Rockauto, Fordpartsgiant, tasca, and local dealerships. Make sure you confirm with the vendors before placing an order, sometimes their websites aren't correct.

I can also tell you that the dealer may have some parts still available... but they are becoming obsolete.

Maybe. I'm just hoping to find a list of all the parts that are that hard plastic in the system for the Gen1. That way I can hunt for them and collect them since I doubt anyone has all of them or that all of them are even available anymore, OEM OR aftermarket.

Maybe. I'm just hoping to find a list of all the parts that are that hard plastic in the system for the Gen1. That way I can hunt for them and collect them since I doubt anyone has all of them or that all of them are even available anymore, OEM OR aftermarket.
do you have a leak or just need parts?

do you have a leak or just need parts?
I don't have any leak that I've been able to find and it wasn't losing any coolant but my car's down right now with the hyd fan not going to high speed. Told the mechanic to try and clean up the speed actuator first. Showed him where it's supposed to be and gave him pics. But if that doesn't fix it I'm having him convert it to the 03-04 electric fan. But while he's working on it I also got the aluminum thermostat housing and outlet and wanted to start collecting all the plastic parts I can before I can't find any of them.

It would also be nice to have a full engine compartment diagram showing where each plastic part is located but I know that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:
im about to replace the upper and lower rad hose plastic set myself, probably degas bottle too. getting my parts off rockauto, currently price for all 3 are about 220 shipped. The upper rad hose plastic connector started showing signs of white corrosive looking stuff on the top of the plastic piece right where the raised plastic joint is in the middle. i sanded it down and put some epoxy on it to hold me over until parts ordered/arrived. keeping an eye on temps with torque and bleeding air when i can. good luck on the install.

im about to replace the upper and lower rad hose plastic set myself, probably degas bottle too. getting my parts off rockauto, currently price for all 3 are about 220 shipped. The upper rad hose plastic connector started showing signs of white corrosive looking stuff on the top of the plastic piece right where the raised plastic joint is in the middle. i sanded it down and put some epoxy on it to hold me over until parts ordered/arrived. keeping an eye on temps with torque and bleeding air when i can. good luck on the install.
Man that is probably the 53mm o-ring leaking.
You could spend a few dollars to replace it and it usually solves the problem.

Man that is probably the 53mm o-ring leaking.
You could spend a few dollars to replace it and it usually solves the problem.
Oh...
I thought he was talking about the plastic part in the middle of the hose.
1693402908631.png

I'll never understand WHY the F Lincoln made these cooling systems so convoluted. What's so bad about having just one inlet and outlet on the motor for cooling to the radiator and an inlet and outlet somewhere up top for the heater cores? SMGDH

I'll never understand WHY the F Lincoln made these cooling systems so convoluted. What's so bad about having just one inlet and outlet on the motor for cooling to the radiator and an inlet and outlet somewhere up top for the heater cores? SMGDH
I think that there are engine design issues that you are not seeing. Higher efficiency, higher power vs weight/size leads to higher compression and greater cooling problems. If you don't mind adding weight, much lower gas mileage (have to talk the government into that), and higher emissions (government again), then yes you can have a simpler cooling system on an iron block, iron head engine.

All that said, they could have used better plastics and more metal.

I think that there are engine design issues that you are not seeing. Higher efficiency, higher power vs weight/size leads to higher compression and greater cooling problems. If you don't mind adding weight, much lower gas mileage (have to talk the government into that), and higher emissions (government again), then yes you can have a simpler cooling system on an iron block, iron head engine.

All that said, they could have used better plastics and more metal.

Ok, I guess I can see that. But for mileage though. The highest I've ever gotten in mine is in the range of 16. I think it went higher once to 17 when I had mostly highway miles on that tank. So if that's average it don't seem like a much higher mileage for the massive added complexity in the cooling. ;)

Ok, I guess I can see that. But for mileage though. The highest I've ever gotten in mine is in the range of 16. I think it went higher once to 17 when I had mostly highway miles on that tank. So if that's average it don't seem like a much higher mileage for the massive added complexity in the cooling. ;)
Still, not bad for a late 90s design that was high powered for its day. I get the lower to higher 20s in my current car and it's heavier with over 300 HP. To accomplish that, it has GDI, variable exhaust timing (as well as variable intake timing like the LS), and an 8 speed transmission. All of that just adds more complexity, of course. You can't have it all. For a lot more money*, I could be in the 30s with the same performance, but even more complexity. You have to pick the compromise that works for you.
*: more so in terms of maintenance costs than just initial purchase price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back