Cooling fan??

4drdrifter

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay so I was doing the bleeding procedure as I'm done bleeding the 3rd time I noticed the coolin fan never spun...hmm now I ask is the cooling fan suppose to spin as soon as I start the car or does it have a time period b4 it comes on?? I kno this has nothing to do with the original question but since I'm talkin about bleeding the cooling system I get a weird high pitch whiste only when I turn on the heat but as soon I shut off the heat it stops this just started yesterday..

Need more information, the auxiliary cooling fan operates differently depending on generation, is yours a first gen 2000-2002 or 2nd gen 2003-2006?

If your LS is 2003 to 2006, then the electric engine cooling fan will not come on at all until the engine has reached full temperature if you have the AC off.

For the whistle, check your cabin filter.

Update: If your profile is correct, then you have a 2001. The hydraulic cooling fan should spin at least some any time the engine is running. You have a problem.

Yea my profile is correct I have an 01 ls8...the weird thing is it doesn't overheat

As long as the climate is cool and you don't sit still with the engine on for very long, it won't overheat. Never the less, you should fix this.

wat do you think it could be that the fan is not spinning

I'm not experienced with the hydraulic fan, but there's not too much to it.

Is the reservoir full of good condition transmission fluid? If so, the fault's either with the hydraulic pump driven by the engine, or with the hydraulic motor that drives the fan. There's a few ways that either could fail, but usually the repair is to replace them.

The hyd fan sometimes needs vacuum pulled to clear air our of the system. Ask Quik, he's messed with it a bunch.
Debugging the hyd fan is a major pain, as noted in many threads on here. Not many shops have the right equipment or willing to spend the time on it. But, there's just a pump w/ actuator, some hoses, reservoir, the fan and the cooling circuit. Not much to go wrong. You should see fluid circulating through the reservoir at all times. Can also disconnect the return (plug the reservoir!) and direct to a bucket, make sure fluid is pumping. Don't let it do this for very long, as it'll pump it all out quickly!
And, of course, make sure fan isn't stuck.

cooling fan

It could be the actuator on the pump itself. These are known to fail. yes the fan comes on all the time when working correctly. turn on the a/c and check fan operation. check for leaks around pump main shaft. check for noise coming from pump, these pumps and fans are junk. it is very expensive to repair. look into the electric conversion situation and links

In case it leaks will I see any fluids on the floor?? I will check that out tomorrow morning..but first imma try to spin the fan by hand just in case it is stuck..

Should, unless it's a slow leak. You can trace the whole circuit with your hand real easy to check for small leaks.
I had a persistent slow leak (few drops per drive) at the fan, never caused a problem. One dude's even squirted out the front of the pump in a stream, but the fan still worked.

As for the actuator, you *may* be able to just remove, clean and reinstall it to see if some gunk clogged it up. Those are pretty small passages through that part of the pump. It's the bit with the electrical connection sticking out the back of the pump. Might need to pull the alternator to get to it, though.

fan will not be stuck

the fan will not be stuck. the pressure of the hydraulic fluid from the pump turns the fan motor. for some reason the pump is not pumping fluid to turn the fan blades of the fan motor is shot. check where sound is coming from, the fan pump squeals when going bad.

i heard sum squeal the other day only when i turned the heat on and it stopped when i shut the heat off...then a few days later no more sound weird....

i heard sum squeal the other day only when i turned the heat on and it stopped when i shut the heat off...then a few days later no more sound weird....

Could be the aux water pump (v8, right?). It only runs when heat is on. Up front, passenger side, hanging on hose coming down from the upper rad hose.

Could be the aux water pump (v8, right?). It only runs when heat is on. Up front, passenger side, hanging on hose coming down from the upper rad hose.[/QUO

yea its a v8..ok so i started up my car checked the fan...its moving slowly but its moving as for the squeal/whistle i haven't heard it since that day but didn't know the ls had an aux water pump..gonna have to check that out

Members online

No members online now.
Back