Cooling Fan Connectors - 2 vs 1

Lincoln LS

  1. rgorke

    rgorke Well-Known LVC Member

    Messages:
    396
    Likes Received:
    44
    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2017
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    So I went to a local yard and pulled out a 06 cooling fan (and a drivers side HID headlight). When looking at the connector something looked different but it didn't register until I got it home and looked at my 04 that has two connectors. Ugh!!!

    My first thought is to just cut the original connectors off my existing fan, cut off the 06 fan connector and splice the wires. Any one have any other bright ideas?

    Before I do that, how might I double check that my "new" 06 fan works properly? Can i just provide 12 volts to the big blades in the connector?

    Oh and the best aspect of my trip to the LKQ was finding $20 in the sunglasses holder in the head liner!!!!
     
  2. joegr

    joegr Dedicated LVC Member

    Messages:
    19,596
    Likes Received:
    1,432
    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2005
    Location:
    Gulfport
    Yes, I am 95% certain that everything is the same except for the connectors. My 06 has the single connector, and my 04 has the dual connectors.

    Testing:
    Ground to the heavy black/yellow wire
    +12V to the heavy red/yellow wire
    +12V to the small green/yellow wire

    This will put it into failsafe mode and it will run at maximum speed.
     
  3. rgorke

    rgorke Well-Known LVC Member

    Messages:
    396
    Likes Received:
    44
    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2017
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks, I tested both fans. The 06 came on great, as did my current fan. Hard to tell if the one in the car was as strong as the other one, but it seemed to be.

    so now I am at a loss. Driving 45+ mph the temp stays below 210, usually below 205. When I sit in traffic, after about 5-10 mins the temp starts to rise up to 225-227. As soon as I am driving back up to 45-80 mph, temp comes down within minutes.


    Is this “normal”? I know the fan will blow 100% at 230-235 or something like that.

    yesterday, when it got to 225, I turned on the heater and the temp came down to 213ish. I suppose I am paranoid of overheating.
     
  4. rgorke

    rgorke Well-Known LVC Member

    Messages:
    396
    Likes Received:
    44
    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2017
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    Looking around on Rockauto, I see this “Cooling Fan Controller”. I don’t see it in the manual...what is it?

    07E2A74C-78A4-43B5-AC73-7BF76A2F359A.png
     
  5. rgorke

    rgorke Well-Known LVC Member

    Messages:
    396
    Likes Received:
    44
    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2017
    Location:
    Camarillo, CA
    • Like Like x 1
    • AmsterDutch

      AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

      Messages:
      1,440
      Likes Received:
      238
      Joined:
      Jul 9, 2017
      Location:
      Midwest
      My 06' sits around 215-218 degrees while at idle and lowers to around 205-208 while driving at 45-70 mph also ...not worried about this at all my LS is running perfect...we LS owners obsessed with are coolant systems...I still have to fill my 2006 every two or three weeks just a bit ...it's leaking somewhere but not enough to be worried about next summer I plan on a full coolant rebuild ...After owning these cars for the last 5 years I've came to realize that 80% of the stuff we worry about never comes true and the other 20% is out of our control anyway
       
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • rgorke

        rgorke Well-Known LVC Member

        Messages:
        396
        Likes Received:
        44
        Joined:
        Aug 5, 2017
        Location:
        Camarillo, CA
        Ain’t that the truth!!! My whole cooling system is brand new, rebuilt transmission, the car runs great. I suppose the engineers had a reason for putting the system under 16psi pressure and the use of coolant. Probably need to not run the obd2 reader while I’m driving so much....; )
         
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • joegr

          joegr Dedicated LVC Member

          Messages:
          19,596
          Likes Received:
          1,432
          Joined:
          Dec 10, 2005
          Location:
          Gulfport
          That's an aftermarket part. To add an aftermarket fan. It doesn't replace anything factory. The fan speed controller is built into the factory fan motor. The fan control is a function of the PCM, no separate modules.

          I think your temperatures are fine. Mine are similar.
           
          • Like Like x 1

          Share This Page

          1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.