Coolent Outlet Tube - Latest Victim

yeocokent

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals. I am new to the site. I have an 03 Lincoln LS V8 with 175,000 miles on it. Was coming off the beltway on Monday and punched it to get around traffic and noticed white smoke coming off the car in the rear mirror. I pulled over and immediately the temp started escalating. Got a tow home. Started it up next day and it ran okay but would over heat after running for awhile. It had all the symptoms of a thermostat problem except for the white smoke when it first occured. I tore into it this morning and found that the water outlet module is a plastic part that surprisingly didn't fail sooner. Anyway, after searching this website I see it is a common problem. I was hoping to get a bit over 200 out of the car before trading it for another Lincoln so I am in the process of replacing the critical elements since I have it apart.

Here is what she looked like. The tube on the drivers side blew out. The area where the thermostat sits was destroyed...

Coolant tube on engine.jpg

Coolent tube removed.jpg

Coolent tube screw.jpg

thermostat housing.jpg

from all the different threads on this part breaking, the weirdest thing i noticed, is even though the part failing seems to be common, they always seem to break differently fro everybody, no two are the same!

from all the different threads on this part breaking, the weirdest thing i noticed, is even though the part failing seems to be common, they always seem to break differently fro everybody, no two are the same!

I don't know. My 06 coolant outlet pipe is now splitting just where my 04 did. (I'm just waiting on all the parts to change it.) Meanwhile, the AC compressor on my 06 is leaking oil, just like the 04 did.

I am kind of in a delima on what I should replace at this point. I expect to keep the car for another 30,000 miles. The degas has never been changed to my knowledge but has never leaked. Since I have it apart I want to replace any potential problems but don't want to over do it since I won't be keeping her much longer.

I am considering replacing the water outlet although I don't know how I will get the back screws out. Also, would you guys go ahead and replace the water pump? With 175k I am considering it since I have everything apart. What would you guys do?

I don't know. My 06 coolant outlet pipe is now splitting just where my 04 did. (I'm just waiting on all the parts to change it.) Meanwhile, the AC compressor on my 06 is leaking oil, just like the 04 did.

Does that look like a leaking oil pan on first sight? At the front of it right below the A/C compressor.

Does that look like a leaking oil pan on first sight? At the front of it right below the A/C compressor.

Green oil, yes. You'll see the streak on the underside of the compressor coming back from the clutch.

I didn't see any fresh oil in the area, just a darker spot on the front of the pan, as if there was a leak of some kind at one point, along with dirt and crap built up around it from sticking onto the greasy spot. No stains/drips in my driveway or garage.

How obvious is a leaky A/C compressor? Any associated symptoms? I use my A/C daily and it works great (knock on wood). Sorry for the thread derailment OP.

I didn't see any fresh oil in the area, just a darker spot on the front of the pan, as if there was a leak of some kind at one point, along with dirt and crap built up around it from sticking onto the greasy spot. No stains/drips in my driveway or garage.

How obvious is a leaky A/C compressor? Any associated symptoms? I use my A/C daily and it works great (knock on wood). Sorry for the thread derailment OP.

Mine is still working well too. I think that the first symptom would be a noisy compressor or complete compressor failure. At that point, it is too late and you would have to flush the system and replace the expansion valve. If yours were leaking, the bottom of the compressor would be pretty wet with oil, and some would be collecting where you park.

+1 my outlet just gave out. Max is no longer our go to. What sites do you guys recommend www.fordpartsgiant.com or www.rockauto.com?

I called for Max last week and they told me that he retired. I left a voicemail for someone else in parts for a quote last week and have not recieved a call back. I guess customer service left with Maxx.

When i did the repair on my GEN I (I know the parts are different, but for referance...) I did the cooling tower, thermostat housing, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, coolant cross over pipe, and degas bottle. I think the parts totak was 500-600$. Motorcraft everything except cooling tower. I sourced the parts from ebay, rockauto, and from Maxx.

fordpartsgiant.com hasn't let me down yet, and I think you can get just about all of the coolant pipes/hoses for a very reasonable price.

For all of the plastic parts in the front of the motor (including both radiator hoses, thermostat housing and thermostat, outlet pipe, and the pipe that goes to the block) I just bought them all last month for under 300$ plus about 25 in shipping....

fordpartsgiant.com hasn't let me down yet, and I think you can get just about all of the coolant pipes/hoses for a very reasonable price.

For all of the plastic parts in the front of the motor (including both radiator hoses, thermostat housing and thermostat, outlet pipe, and the pipe that goes to the block) I just bought them all last month for under 300$ plus about 25 in shipping....

Thanks for the link to that site. I just spent some time on there filling up my shopping cart. With the water pump I am at $450. I am still waffling a bit on changing out the water pump or not.

With the link to the engine diagrams it makes ordering real easy.

Thanks that is a great thread.:cool: Looks like sky is the limit. I wasn't wanting to take the intake manifold off but after seeing the pic in that thread it appears the only way to get those outlet bolts out. Plus it doesn't look like much work.

The reason I pointed you to my thread is I came up with a way so the manifold did not have to come off.

Thanks for the link to that site. I just spent some time on there filling up my shopping cart. With the water pump I am at $450. I am still waffling a bit on changing out the water pump or not.

With the link to the engine diagrams it makes ordering real easy.

So far, water pump failure on the 3.9 seems to be rare. Personally, I'm chancing it and not changing mine preemptively.

The reason I pointed you to my thread is I came up with a way so the manifold did not have to come off.

I misunderstood it but now see what you are talking about. I didn't want to take off the intake body but now I see that it would be the entire manifold without cutting the bolts. THanks for posting, I need to go buy a dremel.

I don't know. My 06 coolant outlet pipe is now splitting just where my 04 did. (I'm just waiting on all the parts to change it.)
i just noticed when i was search around when mine broke, i came across 6 or 7 different threads and while it was the same part that was broke, all of the breaks where a little different. I was just talking about the coolant outlet pipe, pretty much every single picture from a leaking upper radiator hose seems to develop the leak in the exact same place along with most other parts! ;)

i just noticed when i was search around when mine broke, i came across 6 or 7 different threads and while it was the same part that was broke, all of the breaks where a little different. I was just talking about the coolant outlet pipe, pretty much every single picture from a leaking upper radiator hose seems to develop the leak in the exact same place along with most other parts! ;)

There's an exception to almost every rule...

Thanks for the advice guys and for this site. I got everything installed yesterday afternoon/evening and the car is running fine today. Those hose clamps are definitely a PIA. A few other points for those that may doing the same:

1. When changing the belt, you have to loosen the tensioner to get the belt off.
2. When adding antifreeze back into the system fill per the directions. Turn the car on. However, I turned the car off again and filled the about 3/4 gallon into the main fill before proceeding. Proceed per directions and make sure the bleeder valve flows for awhile to get the air out of the system.
3. As others have stated on this site. It took about 2 gallons because the block still holds quite a bit. I just had the system flushed not to long ago so will not worry about it.
4. Be carefull if cutting the old hoses off the transmission coolant part. I used a box cutter to cut them vertically along the fittings by the oil filter and did put a slight groove in the soft aluminum fittings.

My dumb move - I finished installing everything and realized I didn't put the thermostat in the housing so had to take it apart to reinstall.

...1. When changing the belt, you have to loosen the tensioner to get the belt off...

Not true. There is a square hole to put a pull handle in to release the tension. After the belt is off the other pulleys, you can turn it sideways and slide it out from behind the tensioner pulley. I've done this three or four times on two different LSes.

...4. Be carefull if cutting the old hoses off the transmission coolant part. I used a box cutter to cut them vertically along the fittings by the oil filter and did put a slight groove in the soft aluminum fittings...

That's the engine oil cooler, not the transmission.

Not true. There is a square hole to put a pull handle in to release the tension. After the belt is off the other pulleys, you can turn it sideways and slide it out from behind the tensioner pulley. I've done this three or four times on two different LSes.

That's the engine oil cooler, not the transmission.

On the first point, I did release the tensioner. I spent the good part of 30-40 minutes trying to get that belt to squeeze through. It was not possible until I loosened the tensioner. I actually did a search on this site and someone else suggested doing it that way because they too could not get it removed.

On the second point, you are correct, my bad. Either way, be careful if cutting them off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back