Coolant Won't Come Out of Bleed Hose

G22Smoore

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, like a lot of people here I hadn't to replace my degas bottle in my 2002 LS V8 this week because there was a crack in it. After I replaced the bottle, I've attempted to bleed the system multiple times but I can never get a steady stream of coolant coming out of the bleed hose even though I'm fairly sure I'm doing the process just as it says to do, could this mean I have to try bleeding it more, or maybe that I have a different problem? Thanks in advance!

You are pressing the gas pedal and holding the engine at 2500 RPM at the correct times?
You do not have the front of the car elevated (relative to the rear)?
Climate control is on full heat?
Did you replace the other plastic cooling system parts? It's probably not bleeding because microcracks in the other parts are preventing the system from pressurizing. Otherwise, check for a clogged DCCV or clogged screen in the upper radiator hose tee to the DCCV.

How to Drain the Lincoln LS Cooling System

You are pressing the gas pedal and holding the engine at 2500 RPM at the correct times?
You do not have the front of the car elevated (relative to the rear)?
Climate control is on full heat?
Did you replace the other plastic cooling system parts? It's probably not bleeding because microcracks in the other parts are preventing the system from pressurizing. Otherwise, check for a clogged DCCV or clogged screen in the upper radiator hose tee to the DCCV.

How to Drain the Lincoln LS Cooling System
So the front is not supposed to be elevated? I thought I read somewhere it was supposed to be so that might have been an issue. Thanks for the quick reply!

No, front should be level or below the back of the car (car facing downhill).
Keep in mind that the bleed hose you're referring to is the heater air bleed. Air bubbles in the coolant leaving the heater core (and going back to the DCCV) is supposed to be expelled through that hose, so it helps a lot of it's higher than the rest of the piping.

The engine itself is bled through the LONG floppy hose that goes from the thermostat housing directly to the degas bottle. In the degas bottle, it travels down a tube to the very bottom and then any gases just bubble up, so it doesn't suck air back in. This latter process kind takes care of itself and you don't really have any control over it.

Are you opening the heater air bleed hose screw all the way or just a bit? Try opening it up all the way for the first part.

I don't mean to worry you, but I've had the same issues and have been chasing the "problem" around since July. I eventually came to the natural conclusion that everyone here agrees on - the whole plastic system needs to be changed. I'm currently taking apart and am finding multiple failure points. Even if the degas bottle was your weakest point, replacing it alone will likely cause the next weakest point to fail and so on. You might save money changing things one by one, but waste so much more time.

I bled my car last month when i replaced my degas and I forgot to turn the climate control on but its sitting pretty and no leaks so im leaving it.

I just did this this weekend actually and didn't find this thread until now because of the LVC newsletter.

my air bleed does the same thing. I replaced the main upper radiator hose and a few others, did the air bleed, heater was blowing hot air, but little to nothing came out of the heater bleed hose. Took the plug out and rev'd the engine, still nothing. No fluid. Got pissed and tired of waiting, plugged everything up. Now my heater set to max still won't get hot.

I just did this this weekend actually and didn't find this thread until now because of the LVC newsletter.

my air bleed does the same thing. I replaced the main upper radiator hose and a few others, did the air bleed, heater was blowing hot air, but little to nothing came out of the heater bleed hose. Took the plug out and rev'd the engine, still nothing. No fluid. Got pissed and tired of waiting, plugged everything up. Now my heater set to max still won't get hot.

Get the car fully warmed up. Turn the engine off and loosen the degas cap a little (use a towel over it so that it can't spray on you. If there is no hiss when you do this, you still have cracked plastic somewhere that is venting the pressure.
Is this a V8? If so, is your aux pump working?

Get the car fully warmed up. Turn the engine off and loosen the degas cap a little (use a towel over it so that it can't spray on you. If there is no hiss when you do this, you still have cracked plastic somewhere that is venting the pressure.
Is this a V8? If so, is your aux pump working?

I'll give this a try thank you! No i have the V-6 so no aux pump

Members online

No members online now.
Back