Coolant System Rebuild - Replace all plastic parts

Black_Sunshine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just beginning a coolant system rebuild on my 2000 LS V8 (sport version). I have already replaced the degas bottle.

I had to buy a Jaguar coolant pipe that goes in front of the thermostat. The thermostat assembly is a Motorcraft. The other parts are after-market from AC Delco and Dayco.

I'm also going to replace the sway bar bushings while I have access to that area.

IMG_4471.jpg

Water pump??? (While you are "in there")

IIRC... the majority of the bolts are torqued to 89 inch pounds, a may be torqued in a particular sequence. Refer to the manual ... (that you despise) for those specs.:)

Obviously you will need an adjustable torque wrench that reads in inch pounds.

Do you have all the required O-rings and/or short pieces of new hose... and clamps?

Last edited:
I had to replace the serpentine belt and the aux water pump a few months ago. At that time, I went ahead and changed out the water pump while I was there.

All the parts purchased appear to have come with their own O-rings, ready for install, with the exception of the OEM Motorcraft thermostat housing components. I have that O-ring and thermostat rubber edging now. Its disappointing that Ford would sell me a thermostat, and not include the rubber edge trim that is needed for it to seal in the gasket housing. Tell me I'm wrong on that one... :)

I do have the 2000 LS shop manual, and I will look for the torque specs. I do have a couple of different torque wrenches, large and small.

Note: I don't totally hate the shop manual. I hate it a little, mainly because I was not the target audience it was written for. Its a great resource, overall. I just like to bitch & moan when the manual sends me to Google for hours... :)

Also, yes, I have the hose clamps, and a couple of additional hose sizes to cut short pieces.

... Its disappointing that Ford would sell me a thermostat, and not include the rubber edge trim that is needed for it to seal in the gasket housing. Tell me I'm wrong on that one...:)
You are not wrong. It is annoying. Jaguar includes the o-rings and gaskets with their parts.

Yes... you are not wrong. I would guess that Jaguar is holding back some parts on the "Ford" side of things.

I know Ford used to have a 20 year (in stock) parts agreement. It's at least half that now.

Here is my old radiator. I'm assuming that this is the original. Its got massive gunk built up in it. I tried to spray a water hose through it a few times over the years, and it looks like that didn't help much.

IMG_4481.jpg

Previous "shadetree" owner may have gotten tired of the cooling system leaking, and tried to seal it with an additive.

Now the cores are probably plugged up. That might include the heater core too.

Previous "shadetree" owner may have gotten tired of the cooling system leaking, and tried to seal it with an additive.

Now the cores are probably plugged up. That might include the heater core too.
I think that maybe he's talking about the airflow part of it.

It took alot of work, and much of it was above my pay grade... but I have all of the plastic coolant system components removed, and also the old radiator removed. Removing the old radiator took an amazing amount of time, effort and profanity.

IMG_4518.jpg

It took alot of work, and much of it was above my pay grade... but I have all of the plastic coolant system components removed, and also the old radiator removed. Removing the old radiator took an amazing amount of time, effort and profanity.
Easiest (for me anyway) is out the bottom with the front wheels on ramps.

I hate it a little, mainly because I was not the target audience it was written for.
Yeah... definitely meant for the Ford repair techs that have at least 5 years experience or more. (and not specifically to the LS).

Last time I changed the radiator, I had problems getting it out the bottom. The "ears" on the radiator kept getting hung up on other stuff.

So I managed to get it out the top, (at some ridiculous angle and tilt).

It went in much easier than it came out.

Whew! I finally have all of the plastic parts replaced. I did take Joe's suggestion to install the new radiator by brining it in from the bottom. It helped a little bit.

Taking a lunch break now. Will begin the process of putting in coolant, then do the coolant air bleed procedure. Then will be in the process of testing and debugging.

Note: The upper coolant pipe assembly has a grey plastic sensor adaptor shown in the photo. The sensor is not present on this car. I had to buy the Jaguar version of this coolant pipe, due to lack of availability on the Gen 1 pipes. I only found one Jaguar vendor that had it in stock. I guess that's a heads-up to us all that these parts are becoming harder to find.

IMG_4714.jpg

I have also been using the electric fan from a Gen 2 Lincoln. Today, I wired in Oddball's PWM adaptor to better control the fan. Here is the unit wired in, but not mounted yet.

IMG_4716.jpg

So, all the plastic parts are replaced. Oddball's PWM unit seems to be running the fan well.

I drove the car on 4 different local trips, total of 70 miles. Its running solid. I plan to drive it all week on my 40-mile work commute. Its great to have her back on the roster! (knock on wood...)

IMG_4724.jpg

Members online

Back