Coolant Reservoir / Overheating

bschmeec

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Well, I've replaced all my coolant parts (some twice as I was originally unaware of the need for Motorcraft parts...lesson learned). All the hoses and housings are now Motorcraft.

My 2006 LS8 is still losing coolant over time causing it to overheat.

My first question, can this car be pressure checked like I would any normal car? I.E. take it to a shop for a pressure check, or do I need to go to my local Ford dealer, or can it be done at all? I'd like to know where the slow leak is occurring.

The one thing I have not yet replaced is the coolant reservoir. I filled the thing up and the car has sat the last couple days and it is still full. Does that tell me anything or does the car need to run to leak out of there as the coolant will be under pressure?

Also note: before it is recommended, I am aware the coolant system must be bled on this thing. I have performed that function at least a dozen times in the couple years I have owned this vehicle.

OK, so I'll go ahead and replace the reservoir, as I'm sure the one on it is the original. But first. another question. Like everything else on this car, it appears this is a somewhat complicated task. So, I want to replace with something that will last.

Have any of you tried an aluminum reservoir? Like this one here:
For Ford Thunderbird LINCOLN LS 02-05 Aluminum Coolant Reservoir Tank+Cap Silver | eBay

Thanks for your time and expertise.

I just put in an aluminum reservoir. As I have looked at comments over the years I don't believe anyone has had any complains or issues with them. Fairly straight forward install. Took about an hour or so. The trick to replacing the reservoir is to remove the bottom hose from the connection by the firewall and not at the reservoir. Then pull the tank with the bottom hose out as one unit. Install is the reverse. Will save you hours of time as the hose connection on the bottom of the tank is impossible to reach.

I just put in an aluminum reservoir. As I have looked at comments over the years I don't believe anyone has had any complains or issues with them. Fairly straight forward install. Took about an hour or so. The trick to replacing the reservoir is to remove the bottom hose from the connection by the firewall and not at the reservoir. Then pull the tank with the bottom hose out as one unit. Install is the reverse. Will save you hours of time as the hose connection on the bottom of the tank is impossible to reach.
Where did you receive one of those ? Its probably serious aftermarket, so if possible please share the source. My car has quite low kilometers, but its still 22 years old so i am planning to change the coolant tank. Aluminium one sounds like good option :) if i can source it.

Where did you receive one of those ? Its probably serious aftermarket, so if possible please share the source. My car has quite low kilometers, but its still 22 years old so i am planning to change the coolant tank. Aluminium one sounds like good option :) if i can source it.
They sell them on Ebay. See the link at the bottom of my orignal post.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go that route. And thanks for the tip on the hose hookup.

The only thing I don't like about the aluminum degas bottles... is that there is no sight glass on them.

One could lose enough coolant from other minor leaks without knowing it.

There's a reason the OEM bottle is semi-transparent.

OK, I can usually find a YouTube vid on anything, but didn't find one on how to replace the coolant resevior on a 2006 LS8. Does anyone have a link to one? I THINK I recall watching one a bit back where the guy in the vid removed the wiper arms(?) Does that really have to be done to get this thing out? Thank you!
EDIT. I see vids for the coolant resevoir replacement on a V6. Is it esentially the same location/process for a V8? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yes, wiper cowl has to come off, so wiper arms have to come off to do that (it's just one bolt per arm).
Yes, reservoir replacement is the same on the V8 as the V6.
Factory procedure to replace the reservoir: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
For step 5, it was easier for me to disconnect the other end of the hose.

Thank you for the instructions. Much appreciated. The hose up against the firewall was a booger to get off, but thanks to a pick and a lot of pulling, it finally gave. Probably going to need a new hose now, but that's alright, this job calls for new ones anyway.

Update. The aluminum tank did not fit and I could not make it fit. It sure looks like it's supposed to work, but the mounting holes are just too far off. I suppose I could have mangled the aluminum to the point of making it work, but knowing my luck, I would have mangled it to the point I could not return it and it still would not fit. So I bit the bullet and went with this OEM:
5W4Z-8A080-AA - Ford Parts Giant

I have had nothing but bad luck with anything that isn't Motorcraft when it comes to this car's cooling system and this certainly is not a job I want to do again. The hose up against the firewall took quite a bite of convincing to break loose.

Members online

Back