coolant reservoir leak or normal overflow bleed off

swdobbs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm working down the list of probable trouble spots with the 2001 LS I just purchased. 2 times in the month I have been driving the LS I have noticed a 8-10" puddle of radiator fluid under the driver side cowl/firewall. It seems to be running down the backside of the inner fender. Both times it was near 100 degrees out. I've checked the coolant level and it is not low (down maybe an inch).

Is this just pressure bleeding off thru the overflow or is this the signs of a tank replacement in my near future?

Thanks this sight is great.

Yes its the bottle it gets little cracks in it i repaired mine because it was on a sunday i melted it back together with a torch and jb welded over that its been fine since.

Well, thats not good news, but thats why I like this forum. You are a great resource for the new LS owners like me. Now I better get searching for the reservoir tech article if I'm going to stop this leak this weekend.

s.

It's probably a cracked reservoir (a bad gasket on the lid is also a possibility, but that normally doesn't result in a puddle). The LS's coolant system is pressurized when it's running, so it doesn't take much of a leak to result in a decent sized puddle.

cracked!

01V6 ,its most likely cracked, get a new one. Repairs may not last because of the extreme heat.:)

Coolant resevoir

Does anyone know the part number, or what it's called. I looked on Parts Galaxy.com and couldn't find it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back