coolant level

dglad

LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced my heater core and flushed my coolant system i then filled the cooling system with coolant thru the crossover tube with the car running till it was at the cold fill level now when i drive the car the coolant fills the reserve tank and some leaks out do i have air int the system or did i overfill it.

Oh my.....

You filled it with it running?

Anyway. Ya, check for air via crossover tube. Air is bad and blocks the flow form side to side.

I read in the forums you could fill it with or with out the car running. With the car running i took the crossover tube plug out and coolant is right there and i can see it flowing and the car doesnt overheat just anytime i drive it now say 10 -20 miles coolant will come out of the resovoir tank.

If you remove the plug and you can see coolant flowing by... you are low. It should basically pour right out.

And no, you should not fill it with it running. It can create foam as it fills past the pump and you can very quickly overheat the heads.

OK so im low how do i get the air pockets out so the coolant no longer comes out of the reserve tank.

Well assuming your tank cap is good and on right...

With engine off, open crossover tube and fill. Put on cap just so its snug. Start engine, do NOT rev. Open and repeat. Once you think its full you will want to start and rock the car real good to move any potential air pockets. Then remove cap, fill, and repeat. Once you are dont make sure the cap is on tight but not TOO tight. Thats all. Just dont fill it with the engine running.

By the way, if you can do it with the nose of the car up at a slight angle its been said it helps a little more to get air out.

I have car ramps i can try that thanks for your help greatly appreciated.

Car ramps may be a bit much. If you have a jack that would work just fine. The idea is you just give the engine a little more tilt to bring the air up to the crossover.

The coolant level was fine my reserve tank cap was bad i replaced that and now everything is fine thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back