Coolant Leak- Reservoir

jj_john_johnny

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a coolant leak I'm experiencing with my '93 Mark. When the car gets hot it starts to pour coolant from the reservoir tank. I replaced the reservoir cap, but the problem still persists.

Do you think I should replace the cap on the radiator or could the reservoir tank be cracked?

are you seeing any leaks anywhere? might have the system pressure tested at a shop..

Hey, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a coolant leak I'm experiencing with my '93 Mark. When the car gets hot it starts to pour coolant from the reservoir tank. I replaced the reservoir cap, but the problem still persists.

Do you think I should replace the cap on the radiator or could the reservoir tank be cracked?

where is the coolant escaping from?, The cap?
If so, that's a very bad sign.

If you replaced the cap and it's still pushing coolant out of the cap..
Then either 1 of 2 things have/are happening.

1. you've still got air in the system and the car is overheating.
solution: burp all the air out of the system, might require multiple attempts to get ALL the air out.

2. your car has a bad headgasket and is pressurizing the coolant system.

I'm not certain but it may be leaking from the cap, and i have replaced it with a new one.

I really hope it doesn't have a bad head gasket. It doesn't have any white smoke coming out of the exhaust, the oil is not milky, and the coolant doesn't have anything floating in it

Could a bad HG still be a possibility even tho it doesn't have these symptoms?

Could a bad HG still be a possibility even tho it doesn't have these symptoms??

absolutley
the coolant in the oil would mean the HG popped between a coolant and oil passage, the lack of milky oil simply means you didn't compromise the oil system.

the lack of white smoke only means that coolant isn't going into your combustion chamber.

your symptoms indicate that combustion gases are entering your cooling system, not the other way around.

My girlfriends 93 mark 8 did the exact thing you are describing.
we replaced
the cap
the coolant reseviour
the radiater
the thermostat

and in the end it still pushed coolant out of the coolant bottle.
sorry to say

I didn't want to start another thread so I decided to resurrect this one which made me cringe for the last few weeks....

My Coolant was overflowing out of the reservoir to pretty much bone dry. No water in the oil or white smoke from the tailpipes. Heat was nice and hot and besides a ever so slightly fluctuating temp gauge that was it.

I read XLRVIII posts in this thread and expected the worst.

After some great troubleshooting tips from Jaime and the installation of a 160 degree hyptertech thermostat and new overflolw cap shes running great !

The old thermostat was stuck in the closed position.

So whoever reads this thread in the future just know theres always hope when you have these symptons

Just spreading whatever I know to everyone !

Guess I should update this thread since its been resurrected.

It was just extremely low on coolant. The previous owner's mechanic replaced the thermostat and he must have refilled the coolant through the reservoir. So I filled it through the crossover tube with almost 2 full bottles of coolant and that solved the problem

3 years later and its still running great with no HG problem

Theres a cheaper (~$10) chemical tester for antifreeze that will let you check if there is hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Theres a cheaper (~$10) chemical tester for antifreeze that will let you check if there is hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Do you have a pic or a part number or brand? That sounds pretty cool!

Members online

No members online now.
Back