Coolant Leak Driving Me CRAZY

Brie

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Linvoln LS 3.9l V8 with 115 thousand miles on it. I have had a couple overheating problems which led me to replace the thermostat, radiator cap and the coolant reservoir all together. My car runs fine for about two weeks without overheating or having any hiccups. Then it just pisses out all the coolant from what seems like the reservoir but can't seem to pinpoint exactly where. It is not evaporating, mixing in my oil or visibly leaking. There is no white smoke or the smell of coolant burning off. Has anyone else had this issue? I do not believe it to be a head gasket but it is absolutely driving me nuts, especially because it is my daily and seems to be fixed then inevitably dumps the coolant out all at once randomly. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a 2002 Linvoln LS 3.9l V8 with 115 thousand miles on it. I have had a couple overheating problems which led me to replace the thermostat, radiator cap and the coolant reservoir all together. My car runs fine for about two weeks without overheating or having any hiccups. Then it just pisses out all the coolant from what seems like the reservoir but can't seem to pinpoint exactly where. It is not evaporating, mixing in my oil or visibly leaking. There is no white smoke or the smell of coolant burning off. Has anyone else had this issue? I do not believe it to be a head gasket but it is absolutely driving me nuts, especially because it is my daily and seems to be fixed then inevitably dumps the coolant out all at once randomly. PLEASE HELP!!!

You need to replace all the cooling parts on it together everyone else here will tell you the same. They all wear the same! You need to replace all the plastic parts to that cooling system otherwise your just moving the leak down to another spot in a short time. The plastic parts crack and the system is pressurized so once the crack that causes your problem.

overheating problem..Help

GenI LSV8 Cooling System Overhaul Parts List

Don't skimp out and go aftermarket either especially on the Degas Bottle unless you buy the URO Parts one for the Jaguar.

I am in the process of changing my cooling system parts. I just got them all in finally and once I have enough for the labor, I am paying to get the repairs all done at once. Otherwise your gonna keep wondering the same thing why is it leaking. This is the 5th Lincoln LS I have owned and they are all the same as far as this issue goes!

Also here is a link to the Workshop guide for a 2001 Lincoln LS
2001 Lincoln LS Gen 1 Workshop Manual
It should pretty much be the same long as you have a hydraulic cooling fan in the car. I think if I am not mistaken some 2002's were changed over to the electric fans at some point that year. So long as it's hydraulic you should be good with this guide if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Could it be the little clamp on the bottom of the reservoir? I had a bitch of a time trying to get that clamp on right through that tiny hole. In fact I know I didn't really get it right because I found it leaking the other day. I was able to stop the leak by simply sticking my finger in there and trying to move the clamp up a bit. So I know I need to get back in there or the next time I hit a bump it could start leaking again.

...I think if I am not mistaken some 2002's were changed over to the electric fans at some point that year. So long as it's hydraulic you should be good with this guide if I am wrong someone please correct me.

All 2000 to 2002 model year LSes left the factory with hydraulic cooling fans. All 2003 to 2006 model year LSes had electric cooling fans. There was no mid-model change there. (Note that some 2003 model year cars were made in 2002.)

All 2000 to 2002 model year LSes left the factory with hydraulic cooling fans. All 2003 to 2006 model year LSes had electric cooling fans. There was no mid-model change there. (Note that some 2003 model year cars were made in 2002.)

Ok was told different by my dealership cause I was calling about changing the fluid in the fan on my 2002 model, and they said let me get your vin cause they change it mid 2002 to electric. They did not believe I had a hydraulic fan, even though I tried to tell the dummy that I had a reservoir! But they insisted!! I am not saying your wrong and I believe you cause quite honestly their parts department is not the wisest and nicest people to deal with.

The way that Ford lists parts by build date makes it easy for them to get confused about that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back