Coolant cap

g4rgoyle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen to them, yesterday was driving home from work and my temp gauge went up. So i turn the heat up to full and gauge went down. But as i got to my driveway i turned it off and the gauge sure enough went back up. So i poped the hood and check the hoses all good, but to make a long story short found where you fill the coolant. The cap had cracked in the centre where you put the hex key socket so i took it off and found on the inside it is made like of some type of wax or something had a few hairline cracks in it.

most likely indicates that something else has cracked possibly the degas bottle...i just found out my upper rad hose cracked on the hard plastic sleeve part and have to replace that along with the hose that is called the "engine vent" hose i think...

No the degas bottle is in good shape no cracks or spider webing, the only thing i noticed it had more coolant then water. Oh well got a new cap for 20.00 bucks before tax . It's on order comes tommrow, put it in bleed system and see if this solves the problem.

Wow, my dealer only ripped me for $13 for that piece of plastic!

It's easy crack then from folks cranking on them too hard. The rubber seal hardens, so it doesn't seal as well, so you have to seal it tighter, which crunches the seal, so it doesn't seal as well, etc etc. So when you get the new one, tighten it "just enough". If you have a small torque wrench, use that and go to spec. Otherwise, tighten it just a bit, run the car and keep tightening slightly until it seals when the system is pressurized.

13.32 is retail but in Canada it would be a bit more, i wouldnt think 7.00 more

M

Members online

Back