Coolant AGAIN!

kingtonghsp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Coolant leaking again...new reservoir...now it's leaking from here.

WHY? I dunno.

Please I just need to drive to school and gym. I can't afford to have this car down...why this car keeps breaking i dont know.

every month is a new thing. alternator, struts, rims bent, battery, coolant reservoir, and gasket seals, and now this...

this is where its leaking from...it's right above the cap. Whatever that thing is, I think it may be a thermostat housing or a water pump or something. I don't know.. .please help. Why does this keep happening?

jjj.jpg

There is truck load of information on the site on this. I will be considerate and do a search. Check this thread......http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78659

The thermostat is right below the cap. It's all once piece. The piece the thermostat housing is bolted to, connects to the intake. If that's what's leaking, it's $30-40 dollar part. But, you have to drain the cooolant, remove unclamp some of the hoses to get to it.
It took my about an hour to do the whole thing.

Doesn't seem that hard. Definitely alot easier than the coolant reservoir.

Question, is the thermostat housing what I got squared off in the picture? Because you said below, and what I got squared in the picture is above...

Doesn't seem that hard. Definitely alot easier than the coolant reservoir.

Question, is the thermostat housing what I got squared off in the picture? Because you said below, and what I got squared in the picture is above...

Physically below. It's what the cap is screwed onto. In your picture, you could say that the leak is north of the cap. Is that what you mean by above?

I strongly recommend that you at least replace the coolant outlet pipe too. It's what the thermostat housing bolts to. There are some other plastic cooling parts that you might as well do at the same time, unless you want to take all this apart again next year.

Physically below. It's what the cap is screwed onto. In your picture, you could say that the leak is north of the cap. Is that what you mean by above?
Looking at it now, yeah you're right. It is physically below. I was talking north of the cap as in the picture. It does sit under the cap though

Seems like a good idea Joe. Can you shoot me a list of parts to get, and i'll make it happen this weekend. Hopefully Ford dealer ship here carries it all. <:O

Or im sol and missing school Tuesday, or the wife is missing work tuesday...

Do as Joe says and do all those pieces now. Saves you some trouble. I recently had to take everything back apart to replace 9N499 (the outlet pipe Joe spoke of). This part is behind multiple parts and is still a PITA once you get to it. You'll see.

Check out this thread for a diagram of the cooling system with part numbers.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77940

I strongly recommend that you at least replace the coolant outlet pipe too. It's what the thermostat housing bolts to. There are some other plastic cooling parts that you might as well do at the same time, unless you want to take all this apart again next year.

I agree with replacing the outlet pipe. I had my car at my mechanic to have them swap the solenoid pack. When they took it out to test it after the swap, the outlet pipe cracked so they had to keep it for another day to change it out.

Which one on the diagram is the outlet pipe?

I see TUBE WATER INLET , but no outlet.

And I ordered the thermostat housing, and it comes with the gasket an thermostat. Winning! :D

Ok so I ordered the thermostat housing and gaskets and theromstat from Autozone, should be here today, and im gonna pick up the TUBE - WATER from Ford today along with the bottom gasket. :D I should probably pick up a thing of coolant from Ford too huh?

... I should probably pick up a thing of coolant from Ford too huh?

You can, but Prestone pre-mixed has been working okay for me. You'll need two gallons. If you don't get pre-mixed (Ford, Prestone, or otherwise), get distilled water to mix with it.

What connects behind the coolant outlet pipe? It's a plastic pipe and it's cracked. Everything is cracking

What connects behind the coolant outlet pipe? It's a plastic pipe and it's cracked. Everything is cracking

Well, we did try to tell you. The two big radiator hoses have plastic sections as well. If they aren't cracked/leaking yet, they probably will be by the time you are done. I replaced all the plastic pieces except the radiator when mine started cracking.

This is also a good time to change the belt, and maybe the tensioner, since you will have everything out of the way. (and coolant splashed on the belt will degrade it anyway)

When one plastic coolant plumbing part starts to leak they should all be replaced so you don't keep going back in there time and time again.

Refer to my thread that was posted earlier as you will have to cut the rear bolts to get the elbow out and use shorter ones to get the new one in. It's really not that bad of a Sat. job. I would first flush the system with water 3 or 4 times so the block is filled with water, then add undiluted coolant. The block will retain 1/2 capacity of total coolant volume so this works out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back