Control Arms and Struts Same as T-Bird?

jgscott

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Control Arms and Struts Same as T-Birds.

Will the 04 T-Bird Struts and Controls Arm fit the 02 LS V8 Sport?
Looked at some parts, and some say they cross reference the same. Some show different, some don't say.

Can anyone that knows here please tell me? Thanks.

Don't know about T-bird. I believe I remember hearing this is true. I do however know that Jaguar control arms are the same

IIRC, 2003-2005 Thunderbird has Gen II suspension stuff. If you're not replacing in pairs you might be better off matching parts for a 2002

Anyone know if the Control Arms and Struts Same as T-Birds.

Will the 04 T-Bird Struts and Controls Arm fit the 02 LS V8 Sport?
Looked at some parts, and some say they cross reference the same. Some show different, some don't say.

Can anyone that knows here please tell me? Thanks.

Just look on fordparts.com. There are notes for the build dates (or just enter your VIN); I believe the 14mm vs 16mm ball joint stud diameter in front is the only difference so you need to get the control arm that matches what you have (unless of course you're pressing in new lower balljoints to your knuckle, then get the arm that matches those new ball joints). What is the build date of your car? What parts are you specifically looking for? This car has 4 control arms; front and rear uppers and lowers.

These cars use a shock instead of a strut

Thanks.

So is it not actually a total of 8 control arms? 1 upper and 1 lower at each of the 4 wheels?

And it has a Shock with a Coil spring over it? Or what?

02LINC has it right with the ball joint stud. For good Motorcraft parts at non dealer prices, you can get all 4 front arms for about $850 on RA. RA usually notes the ball joint size with the arms they sell. If you can't find someone to help you replace the ball joints, you are looking at another $300 per knuckle. Rear motorcraft arms will be roughly another $750, but IIRC RA didn't have the Motorcraft rear lower arms the last time I looked.

Shocks are another story... and may not be available any more through Ford. That opens up another couple cans of worms.

Just remember... you get what you pay for,,, and cheaper parts won't hold up as long. Moog, (which ususally makes quality parts), is making Gen 1 rear lower arms, but I don't know how they hold up.

I have already replaced the Ball joints. Working on Control arm/bushing options. All, front rear, upper lower = 8.

I thought the Moogs, were as good as, if not better than Ford. Agree that Ford's are great. Trying to keep from spending, $2000 not including labor for a 02 LS with 256k on it. Everything else on car is in great condition and working perfect.

Moog used to be very good for aftermarket parts. Not so sure anymore since they moved most of their production to Mexico/China. I've heard a few complaints recently. I know their sway bar link design has changed for the LS. Still greaseable... but the ball socket is smaller now,,, similar to the factory sway bar links. Got over 100k out of the last ones. See what happens this time.

Curious as to why you are looking at T-Bird parts... instead of LS parts. Unless you found used low milage T-Bird parts. Just remember... used is used. AGE, as well as milage, is a determining factor on durability of used parts.

Thanks.

So is it not actually a total of 8 control arms? 1 upper and 1 lower at each of the 4 wheels?

And it has a Shock with a Coil spring over it? Or what?
HA just realized i typed 4 instead of 8! Yeah if you have 4, it means one end of the car fell off :(

I'm also selling rear uppers for $300 (or reasonable offer) if you're interested. They're real Motorcraft from Tasca. I was going to fix my rear suspension then my trans decided to pop a solenoid. I returned everything but these- they simply wouldn't accept the return. Everything else went back.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back