control arm preferred supplier these days?

drobs5

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So what manufacturer is preferred for front upper and lower control arms these days? I'm getting ready to rebuild my front end (97) and see Moog used to be prefered but may not be anymore due to quality issues. Suggestions?

Raysbestos professional grade have beefy ball joints, thick rubber boots, and grease fittings.

I used to swear by Moog but I've had two defective ball joints from them in the last two years on completely different parts from different stores so I buy elsewhere now.

Agree on the Rays Pro grade for the uppers. Actually had the ball joint for the height sensor break off of one when new.
Rockauto replaced it on warranty, sofar still good.
Mevotech sway bars link also, with grease fittings.

Looks like the raybestos control arms are no longer in production ... can't seem to find both lowers anywhere.

You can use the lower control arms for a ford thunderbird. Rockauto has them, part number 5071397, 5071398

The thunderbird ones don't have the height sensor mount-balls on them.

Don't buy them if you're still on air unless you want to deal with attaching that to the replacements.

the UPPERS don't have the needed ball studs if you are on air.
t bird lowers are just fine for all mark viiis.

the 2 part numbers are the left and right sides.

I'm not on air anymore. The two part numbers I was referring to were the part numbers that rockauto had for the lower left control arm (5071309 for the mark and 5071398 for the bird).

If you don't have air anymore then you can use Thunderbird/Cougar uppers. They're usually a few dollars cheaper.

They have different numbers even though they both fit the car because of manufacturing/inventory control

Arnott upper control arms have bushings that pivot and sealed ball joints like the original equipment had.

I'm not sure how important the pivoting bushings are in a coil spring car, but they are much easier to install, as you don't have to tighten the bolts when the car is at ride height.

Arnott upper control arms have bushings that pivot and sealed ball joints like the original equipment had.

I'm not sure how important the pivoting bushings are in a coil spring car, but they are much easier to install, as you don't have to tighten the bolts when the car is at ride height.

+2 Arnott, they pivot

I used AC Delko units as the are beefy and have grease fittings.

So far no problems as the one with the sealed upper joint failed in a few thousand miles.

Lowers I ordered a set of Graphite impregnated units from Rock Auto and doesn't matter that I don't remember who the Manufacture is cause they were out of production on sale to clear out stock. Got ball joint press from HF and it was easier than I expected, quicker too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back