Continental Screaching Noise

JLewisinSyr

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm getting annoyed. I've had this annoying screaching noise when I start the car. It mostly goes away after about 20 minutes of driving, but its still there under heavy load/acceleration.

I completed some repairs to help eliminate this problem, including replacing the belt, idler pulley and waterpump. The problem still persists, it's better, so I don't think the part replacements was a bad idea though.

So this last weekend I changed the waterpump, noise didn't occur all day, but next day, the noise was back. Looking down the pulley/belt side of the engine, where the noise is, leaves me to believe it is either the alternator (which I'm actually leaning against) or the crank pulley.

I have a good feeling it is the crank pulley, is it almost looks like it's wobbling a little, which shouldn't be happening.

So here's the question, I checked my service manual and it looks like the car has a crank pulley and a harmonic balancer. But when I try to find the parts online, all I find is the harmonic balancer (at $100 - ouch). Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you just replace the harmonic balancer, or did you need to replace both parts?

I've been learning to do more and more work on the car myself (I like doing my own repairs for the most part), but I don't want to drop even more cash to fix this problem or do all the necessary tear down (it's a big process to change this pulley) to resolve.

Anyone's advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

you wrote that you changed the idler pulley ,but did you change the tensioner to?if not id start there and as for the harmonic balancer it is the only crank pulley there is ,world parts has it for 83.00.unless the 98 is a major change from the 96,then it isnt a hard repair at all.remove the wheel and fender cover knock off the bolt and take off with a regular harmonic puller.its tight but works well.if you use the ford puller you will have to drop the engine down an inch as the puller doesnt fit.change the front seal while you have it off.

one more thing to think of... and dont discount as not possible too easily..

you already changed the belt... I have seen belts squeal and make a lot of noise (in the same fashion as you describe), even after replacement. sometimes the belts just slip a little until they are worn in, or a bad belt is always possible.

Like was previously mentioned, the tensioner may need replacement also, not just the pulley, the whole thing... the springs do loose their tension over time

MichiganTeddyBear said:
one more thing to think of... and dont discount as not possible too easily..

you already changed the belt... I have seen belts squeal and make a lot of noise (in the same fashion as you describe), even after replacement. sometimes the belts just slip a little until they are worn in, or a bad belt is always possible.

Like was previously mentioned, the tensioner may need replacement also, not just the pulley, the whole thing... the springs do loose their tension over time

I would normally would not discount the belt, except it still did the same squelling right after it was put on by the dealership (I was lazy and annoyed), and it looks perfectly fine.

I thought about the tensioner, but seeing how the pulley is wobbling so much, it really makes me discount the tensioner.

It's also good to know that the crank pulley/harmonic balancer can be replaced via another method other then dropping the whole front.

I had the exact same problem on my 1994 Conti. It was the tensioner pulley. I found it by spraying lubricant on each part until the noise went away and the tensioner was it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back