Considering a used LS as my next ride...

shomann

LVC Member
Reaction score
...give me your best sales pitch!

Greetings all. I have been lurking here for the past few weeks trying to bone up on the LS. I have a short list of cars that I am considering to replace my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE (5-spd). The thing that made me add the LS to this list was its styling, features (I am a big gadget head) and price of entry (much lower than I would have guessed).

There seem to be plenty of things to like about the LS, but there are a few things that give me a little pause:

• Reliability.
    I am driving a Maxima now due to my last experience with a Ford product (a Mustang Cobra). Are there specific things that tend to fail on the LS? Those in the 2000/2001 models, I would love to hear about body creaking, "looseness", or other high-mileage maladies.
  • Cost of ownership.
    Admittedly, this is a luxury car so I expect a bit higher than normal CO, but I have never owned a lux class vehicle, so I don't know really what to expect.
  • Upgradeablity/Difficulty.
    I have seen several posts regarding "cracking" the PCM and its implications on future FI. Though I do not see myself going this route, I am interested in possibily upgrading suspension (coilovers), rims, and other non-power enhancements at some point in the future. One of my first projects regardless of the car I choose will be the addition of an integrated computer. I trust the LS has a straightforward stereo upgrade path?

I am mostly looking at a 2002 or 2003, V8 Sport varient only. These seem to fit within my budget and seem to be available readily. The only option I don't want is the Nav (I want to roll my own ;) ).

That mostly covers it. I have not been an import-only guy FWIW. In fact it would be rather poetic to find myself in another Ford product considering my list of previous vehicles:

1. 1968 Ford Mustang 289 Coupe
  2. 1990 Ford Taurus SHO
  3. 1996 Nissan 240 SX
  4. 1998 Mustang Cobra Coupe
  5. 2000 Nissan Maxima SE

Thanks for any insight you guys can give! :waving:

only problems I have had.. are Radiator hose broke, new brakes/rotors/pads, replaced their :q:q:q:qy lugnutz..

problems i have heard about and lookforward to dealing with,
Tranny Problems very few
Coil Problems, just about everyone
car overheating
air conditioning not working right, blowing out of one vent

i'm sure someone will add to the list

Motts said:
only problems I have had.. are Radiator hose broke, new brakes/rotors/pads, replaced their :q:q:q:qy lugnutz..

problems i have heard about and lookforward to dealing with,
Tranny Problems very few
Coil Problems, just about everyone
car overheating
air conditioning not working right, blowing out of one vent

i'm sure someone will add to the list

Hehe, the Maxima's had coil problems too. Did Lincoln revise their part or do you need to just keep replacing them?

What causes the LS to overheat?

Thanks! (mmm Hayabusa)

shomann said:
Hehe, the Maxima's had coil problems too. Did Lincoln revise their part or do you need to just keep replacing them?

What causes the LS to overheat?

Thanks! (mmm Hayabusa)

hayabusa.. just got her on saturday... mmmm aaazing... lol
about the coils.. I think there was a bad part and lincoln revised the part.. mostly had a lot of issues with 00-01 the first yr.. had to work out a lot of bugs.. if your going for a 03' I believe you'll be fine.. .. My car overheated cause of the broken radiator hose...
You'll be fine.. I'd buy another lincoln ls.. anyway.. I have a 00' with only 39k miles, I paid 11995 for it..

If you get LS make sure that you get extended warranty, It is very expensive to repair LS, also there were a lot of problems with hydraulic cooling fans that cause car to overheat. I think that 03-05 had electric fans and had much less problems.

Cool. Thanks for the input thus far.

I wonder how many current LS owners came from mid-level imports like myself?

From what I've seen, most of the initial issues were corrected by 2003...many by 2001. 2000 and 2001 also had rear window regulator issues, but I'll bet most of them are fixed by now. I made sure mine "had a problem" under warranty and they were happy to replace them. You need to remember that the problems you see here are a VERY small percentage of the vehicles out there...so take them with a grain of salt. All in all, it is the best handling performance sedan made in America...and better than most "world class" cars.

I haven't seen much about the 02's having problems. So far my car has been very reliable but it should be for what i paid for it. I have a 75000 mile warranty on it and it currently has 26,000 miles on it. Anything i should be watching for in the 2002 LS V8?

Shomann,

I have a 00LS8 Sport and knock on wood no issues. I bought it in November and have just about 5k miles on it since I bought it. To be safe 03's are supposedly the redesigned model and is also supposedly more realible. From coming from someone who owns 2 Jaguars believe me LS's are about 1/2 the trouble and cost most of the time. My dad used to always tell me these very words. "If you can afford the payment thats one thing, but you better be ready for the up-keep and gas these high performance machines take." Good luck with your decesion!

-Scott-

shomann said:
Cool. Thanks for the input thus far.

I wonder how many current LS owners came from mid-level imports like myself?
i came from a 99 galant...I liked the car alot but nothing compare to american luxury :Beer

Thanks guys! This is the type of info I was really looking for. My particular list is quite diverse and each vehicle really can't be compared to another (just in case anyone cares LOL):

1. 2002/03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
  2. 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon LTD 5spd
  3. 2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6spd (but I have come to HATE torque steer)
  4. 2005 Pontiac GTO (I have mostly eliminated this just because it lacks certain things like oh say a useable trunk)
  5. 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4 (big change for me, never owned a truck/SUV)
  6. 2005 Infiniti G35 6spd Sedan (just out of my price range though)

Obviously the Lincoln is the most luxury of the group aside from the Infiniti.

shomann said:
Thanks guys! This is the type of info I was really looking for. My particular list is quite diverse and each vehicle really can't be compared to another (just in case anyone cares LOL):

4. 2005 Pontiac GTO (I have mostly eliminated this just because it lacks certain things like oh say a useable trunk)

1 IS what you should buy!
2 A Subaru wagon are you plaining on having soccer team to hail around.
3 Do not much about them, other then its a Jap ride.
4 Need I say more.....................looks like a Grand Prix on steriods.
5 Truck/SUV I actually had a Jeep Wrangler between my LS and my 01 SHO,
loved the Jeep but hated the ride, lack of power, and room.
6 This is just a re-badged toyota! HAHA

Again these are just opinions that dont really matter but what the hell I am bored and have to stay at work till midnight tonight.

-Scott-

shomann said:
...give me your best sales pitch!

Greetings all. I have been lurking here for the past few weeks trying to bone up on the LS. I have a short list of cars that I am considering to replace my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE (5-spd). The thing that made me add the LS to this list was its styling, features (I am a big gadget head) and price of entry (much lower than I would have guessed).

The LS is a decent car, so I would say to you get it if you fall in love with it. If you don't have a passion towards this car and you are unlucky and end up with a few problems you might just be disappointed like this guy: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=8946&highlight=dead+lincoln

But, if you have driven the V8 and you are like the majority of the people on this forum, you will realize that any good thing is worth putting work into. The LS is definately a good thing IMHO. I'm in the same boat with this guy:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=8997&highlight=lincoln+life

Good luck.

:L

ohioLS said:
1 IS what you should buy!
2 A Subaru wagon are you plaining on having soccer team to hail around.
3 Do not much about them, other then its a Jap ride.
4 Need I say more.....................looks like a Grand Prix on steriods.
5 Truck/SUV I actually had a Jeep Wrangler between my LS and my 01 SHO,
loved the Jeep but hated the ride, lack of power, and room.
6 This is just a re-badged toyota! HAHA

Again these are just opinions that dont really matter but what the hell I am bored and have to stay at work till midnight tonight.

-Scott-

TOTALLY alright to give opinion LOL. I happen to have justifications for all of the choices:

1. Excellent value for what you get. Reliability of Ford products considering my past with them the unknown factor
  2. I have no kids. This wagon is a total sleeper (turbo-charged, AWD, 250hp/250tq stock, but easy to up to 300+ with a few bolt-ons, reprogram). Performance-wise they totally kick ass, ammenties are a little sparse for a high-twenties priced vehicle.
  3. The 2003 Maxima is the last good one IMHO, the really screwed it up for 2004+. Excellent powertrain and amenities, its downside is that it is wrong-wheel drive.
  4. 400hp/400tq with a 6spd. That's all though. (Actually, when peeking in on one sitting at the dealership I was impressed that they managed a somewhat refined interior - for a Pontiac). The gas tank is in the trunk, no moonroof and one 2 doors.
  5. Same powerplant as the other Nissan stock with 4x4 capabilities. Mid-twenties SUV with rugged styling and a 6-spd as an option - very good stuff, but do I want a truck?
  6. Infiniti is Nissan's luxury brand. Available in rear-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations, it would be my top choice given a bit higher budget

Not arguing, just justifiying!

shomann said:
TOTALLY alright to give opinion LOL. I happen to have justifications for all of the choices:

1. Excellent value for what you get. Reliability of Ford products considering my past with them the unknown factor
  2. I have no kids. This wagon is a total sleeper (turbo-charged, AWD, 250hp/250tq stock, but easy to up to 300+ with a few bolt-ons, reprogram). Performance-wise they totally kick ass, ammenties are a little sparse for a high-twenties priced vehicle.
  3. The 2003 Maxima is the last good one IMHO, the really screwed it up for 2004+. Excellent powertrain and amenities, its downside is that it is wrong-wheel drive.
  4. 400hp/400tq with a 6spd. That's all though. (Actually, when peeking in on one sitting at the dealership I was impressed that they managed a somewhat refined interior - for a Pontiac). The gas tank is in the trunk, no moonroof and one 2 doors.
  5. Same powerplant as the other Nissan stock with 4x4 capabilities. Mid-twenties SUV with rugged styling and a 6-spd as an option - very good stuff, but do I want a truck?
  6. Infiniti is Nissan's luxury brand. Available in rear-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations, it would be my top choice given a bit higher budget

Not arguing, just justifiying!

Job well done stick with the LS if relialbility is a issue by a 03 they have close to zero issues. Also sorry about the Inf/Nis mix up I was thinkin Toy/Lex sorry I should have re-read what I typed. Good luck and maybe we will see pics soon of your new ride a LS!!

-Scott-

shomann said:

Sorry here is my top six out of your choices!

1 LS
2 Infiniti
3 Maxima
4 GTO
5 Xterra
6 Subura

Just having fun with your choices what you think! :soapbox:

I drove a WRX and it makes my Mustang feel as smooth as a Lincoln...especially in power as the WRX is peaky. I drove a 2003 Maxima...too much torque-steer. It was more fun to drive when it had less power years ago. It's all about balance. I like the Infiniti you mention, but it seemed a little tight inside. The GTO is butt-ugly like I usually see from GM, but the interior is pretty cool. HEAVY car, but I haven't driven one. I think the LS out of your choices is the best balanced car. I like the 2000-2002 the best. Like mentioned, most 2000's will have the fixes already done to them by now, so I wouldn't rule those out. You can get them cheap and keep a few thousand in the bank for any major repairs.

Really all the cars you mention are SO different...it's not like comparing a Camry and Accord. I do understand why you picked the ones you did...other than the Xterra. I would never buy an import truck. JMO.

lsbit said:
I drove a WRX and it makes my Mustang feel as smooth as a Lincoln...especially in power as the WRX is peaky. I drove a 2003 Maxima...too much torque-steer. It was more fun to drive when it had less power years ago. It's all about balance. I like the Infiniti you mention, but it seemed a little tight inside. The GTO is butt-ugly like I usually see from GM, but the interior is pretty cool. HEAVY car, but I haven't driven one. I think the LS out of your choices is the best balanced car. I like the 2000-2002 the best. Like mentioned, most 2000's will have the fixes already done to them by now, so I wouldn't rule those out. You can get them cheap and keep a few thousand in the bank for any major repairs.

Really all the cars you mention are SO different...it's not like comparing a Camry and Accord. I do understand why you picked the ones you did...other than the Xterra. I would never buy an import truck. JMO.

See trust your friends here at LVC and do yourself a favor and buy that LS of your dreams, so many of us have!!

:dj:

-Scott-

lsbit said:

Thanks for the insight. The Subarus appeal to me only starting this year because the Legacy line went though a MASSIVE change. AWD that works well seems to be tough to find under $30K but seems to be a joy to have. I would say that the Suby and Lincoln are tied for top place right now. I need to test drive an LS though (I have a close friend that owns an '05 Legacy so that is no problem)

ohioLS said:
See trust your friends here at LVC and do yourself a favor and buy that LS of your dreams, so many of us have!!

:dj:

-Scott-

You all have been very helpful and it is nice to find an open and friendly community like this! I will keep you all posted!

OK. So what are the biggest differences between the '02 and '03? I know there are supposedly like 500, but what are the high points?

I like the idea of an '03 due to it still being in the 48/50000 warrenty. I also think the A/C seats idea sounds totally :q:q:q:q (as Cartman would say).

Last question (for now). I know the LSE isn't available factory in '03, but can the '04 kit be adapted easily?

I have to add my2 cents in. I have a 02LSV8 with 47K on it. I purchased the car back in OCT 04 and I absolutly love the car. I have had a ton of problems though,but would not get rid of the car. I did buy the extended warr. and I am still on the factory warr. I have had the engine replaced after a knock was heard on night after a long trip. If you get a LS get the warr.

Everyone was telling me to get rid of the car, but I am so happy with the ride and the power I just can't part with it and I will buy another LS when it comes time to do so. One word of warning to you is to only buy from a lincoln dealer as they always take great care of me anytime I come in.

Goog Luck,
:L :dj:

Do the '02s have 48/50k as well as the '03+?

How much is the extended warrenty and is it bumper to bumper?

Members online

Back