computer question

Marine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have all these songs that are burned to my computer, but I want to convert them to MP3 format. I have iTunes, WMP 9, Realplayer 10, Winamp xx (newest version). What do I do to change my songs to MP3 so I can play them on a MP3 Player?

I feel like such a dumba$$ for not knowing this, but I'm tired and have no patience now.

Thanks for the help!

How exactly are the songs burned to your computer? What format are they in? Please explain this a bit more, as I know it's not possible to copy a whole CD to a PC computer in it's native format without some serious Audio Editing software. If you have purchased these songs on the interweb then downloaded them, you will have to bypass the coyright bit. You'll have to burn the music to an audio CD, then find an audio Grabbing utility called - incidentally- "audiograbber" on the net, and re-rip them to mp3 format.

Us "Dark side of the computing" guys just pop the CD into the Cd drive, fire up itunes, and tell it to rip the CD to MP3 format.

I don't know what kind of an MP3 player you have, but most will also play WMA format. WMA is windows' answer to the mp3, but I've never been a fan of it.

The songs are directly from the CD's I've purchased, and were put there by real player. I suppose I could delete them all and re-insert them using iTunes, but there's got to be a better way. They show up as Real player format, I think it's called .rm

Thanks for the help

MusicMatch Jukebox

Marine said:
So I have all these songs that are burned to my computer, but I want to convert them to MP3 format. I have iTunes, WMP 9, Realplayer 10, Winamp xx (newest version). What do I do to change my songs to MP3 so I can play them on a MP3 Player?

I feel like such a dumba$$ for not knowing this, but I'm tired and have no patience now.

Thanks for the help!

Use Music match. It has one of the easiest interfaces of any of the rippers that I have found yet. I have over 100GB of music on my server that I stream to all of my computers on my home network. It will automatically convert to the proper format for your MP3 player if it is one that they have in their list of supported players. It also has very powerful converters built in and will allow you to burn compilation disks to a cd or dvd burner.

Exact Audio Copy for ripping and L.A.M.E. for encoding to MP3.

They are more complicated to setup than WMP or RealPlayer, but they work better, your MP3s will sound better, and neither program will cost you a dime.

Click here for instructions on how to setup EAC.

(As a side note, I suggest that you set EAC to not start ripping the next track till it finishes letting LAME encode the current track to MP3, or you'll end up with little pops or SQUEAK noises occasionally appearing in your MP3s.)

Click here for recommended settings for L.A.M.E.

If you need help getting them to work, send me a PM.

Members online

No members online now.
Back