compression loss troubleshooting?

cinz4064

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain how to pin point the reason for compression loss i know how to tell if there isn't enough compression but do not know the next step any advice would be great thanks

Worn out rings or valves not seating properly. Only real way to pin point the problem is take the head off but there some other little tricks in narrowing it down. What is the compression on each cylinder?

my jasper engine is out of warranty so its my time to shine lol i plan on doing a compression test maybe this weekend .will lower compression numbers point to a certain prob?

leakdown test... Listen to TB, leaking intake valve, same for exhaust but harder to do. Listen to valve cover oil fill, leaking rings. Open radiator overflow, look for bubbles, leaking gasket/cracked head or block.

All cylinders should be within 10% on a compression check.

thank you ill get compression numbers when i get a chance would you happen to know if there is a common problen with that engine

Like most engines, overheating one can blow a headgasket/warp a head. But the 96's have the upgraded (a least the original engine) beehive valve springs. I've heard the early engines (93-95) can suffer from broken valve springs with high miles (unknown what is considered "high miles").

Like most engines, overheating one can blow a headgasket/warp a head. But the 96's have the upgraded (a least the original engine) beehive valve springs. I've heard the early engines (93-95) can suffer from broken valve springs with high miles (unknown what is considered "high miles").

For some reason I have only seen the 95's with that problem even though the earlier ones are non beehive.

You can also test for presence of combustion gases in the cooling system with a kit.

Members online

Back