Sold Complete kit for installing LSD in a Gen II LS with Eaton TrueTrac LSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deaconblue

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I bought all these parts a couple of years ago with the best intention of installing them in my 2004 LS Sport, but I guess that I just got lazy. Since the replacement for the LS is already sitting out in the driveway, these will now most likely never get installed in my car. Here are the details;

2002 Gen I LS 3.58:1 geared differential with less than 51K miles from this car;

Lincoln Ls Series 3.0L 6 used of the 2002 at 06051, CT - HARTFORD

Eaton TrueTrac LSD for Ford 8.8" with 28-spline axles #912A562, used with only 1.5K miles. It was removed from the front end of a 4WD Ford truck and replaced with the clutch type unit for better off road capabilities.

AutoZone re-manufactured Duralast CV axle assemblies #9371 and #9374 - NIB, never installed.

Ford 8.8" IRS rebuild kit with Temkin bearings and seals, as well as carrier shims, RTV and gear marking paint. Plus tap and fittings for adding drain plug to make changing lube easier.

Everything total for $750 plus shipping. These parts are heavy so even ground shipping may be expensive.

If you are planning on doing this job yourself, I also have a very nice aluminum case spreader tool NIB never used that is also available for $200 plus shipping.

Thanks for looking.

LS Gen I  3.58 gear differential #1.jpg
LS Gen I  3.58 gear differential #2.jpg
LS Gen I  3.58 gear differential #3.jpg
LS Gen I  3.58 gear differential #4.jpg
Eaton TrueTrac 8.8 28-spline #1.jpg
Eaton TrueTrac 8.8 28-spline #2.jpg
LS Gen I  axles #1.jpg
LS Gen I  axles #2.jpg
LS Gen I differential install kit.jpg

Last edited:
I have gotten a couple of PM asking about the Eaton TrueTrac vs. the Ford OEM clutch type LSD.

The helical gear type LSD such as the TrueTrac as well as the Quaife and most Torsen have one disadvantage. If no torque is sensed on one axle, then they act as an open differential. This could happen if the inside rear tire would lift off the pavement during a hard turn or if one tire was say on glare ice. But this is the beauty of using this type of LSD in a Gen 2 LS with the factory AdvanceTrac system. The AdvanceTrac system automatically pulses the individual rear brake calipers to slow down the free spinning axle. This action adds exactly what these gear driven LSD need - some brake bias to help redirect the torque to the slower spinning axle. So the two systems (the factory electronics and the mechanical gear type LSD) then work in harmony and do not fight each other. Also these gear type LSD basically never wear out nor do they need any special additives in the gear lube.

Now if you plan on drag racing or drifting with your LS, then the clutch type LSD would be a better choice - you can also alter the pre-loads during installation as well. Plus the clutch type LSD tend to be more readily available and slightly less expensive than the gear type LSD. A couple disadvantages of the clutch type LSD are that they periodically need to be rebuilt and they can also induce a bit of over-steer during hard braking in on a slick surface such as in the rain. Unless you get a full boat racing gear type LSD such as the Torsen 2R, these gear type LSD un-lock during de-acceleration and/or braking, so they act just like an open differential and they do not add an over-steer characteristics during braking.

Hope this explains why I choose the Eaton TrueTrac for the LS. Now I just wished more than ever that I would have gotten off my lazy ass and installed these parts a couple years ago.

Thanks again for looking.

I bought all these parts a couple of years ago with the best intention of installing them in my 2004 LS Sport, but I guess that I just got lazy. Since the replacement for the LS is already sitting out in the driveway, these will now most likely never get installed in my car. Here are the details;

2002 Gen I LS 3.58:1 geared differential with less than 51K miles from this car;

Lincoln Ls Series 3.0L 6 used of the 2002 at 06051, CT - HARTFORD

Eaton TrueTrac LSD for Ford 8.8" with 28-spline axles #912A562, used with only 1.5K miles. It was removed from the front end of a 4WD Ford truck and replaced with the clutch type unit for better off road capabilities.

AutoZone re-manufactured Duralast CV axle assemblies #9371 and #9374 - NIB, never installed.

Ford 8.8" IRS rebuild kit with Temkin bearings and seals, as well as carrier shims, RTV and gear marking paint. Plus tap and fittings for adding drain plug to make changing lube easier.

Everything total for $750 plus shipping. These parts are heavy so even ground shipping may be expensive.

If you are planning on doing this job yourself, I also have a very nice aluminum case spreader tool NIB never used that is also available for $200 plus shipping.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 828486688 View attachment 828486689 View attachment 828486690 View attachment 828486691 View attachment 828486692 View attachment 828486693 View attachment 828486694 View attachment 828486695 View attachment 828486696
Do you still have the parts. If you do, what do yo think the total weight is.

TrueTrac is 25.0 lbs
Hardware kit is 3.5 lbs
Differential is 63.0 lbs
Axles are 22.5 and 22.0 lbs
Total is 136 lbs without any additional packaging. Where are you located? I am in Cleveland Ohio.

TrueTrac is 25.0 lbs
Hardware kit is 3.5 lbs
Differential is 63.0 lbs
Axles are 22.5 and 22.0 lbs
Total is 136 lbs without any additional packaging. Where are you located? I am in Cleveland Ohio.
I live in Oswego IL. I think if you pack in three boxes to keep under 70lbs. That's going to be cheaper. I am interested in purchasing.

Let me see if I can get same estimate costs via the shipping department at work this week for three cartons. I will send you a PM on what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back