Compatible Suspension Parts

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is any part of the 2004-? Jag S Type suspension compatible with the LS? I know that the 2000-2002 suspensions are compatible. I know the 03 and up front suspension is different...what about the rear? Shocks and springs? Control arms? anything?

On Rockauto, the rear shocks for 2000 and 2004 have the same part #. The rear control arms "look" the same but are they?

Yes... the rear suspension on the S-Type is completely compatible with the LS... not including the S-Type R.

The front suspension of early 2002 and before S-Types is mostly compatible with the LS... however the front springs and shocks are not directly interchangable. The LS springs will not fit on the S-Type shocks... and the S-Type springs will not fit on the LS shocks.

This means doing a "Jag conversion" to the LS... which is getting new shocks and springs for a 2002 S-Type... AND 2 lower spring isolators from the rear shock assemblies of an LS at a boneyard, and after disassembling the shock assemblies... very carefully removing the plastic lower spring seats without breaking them.

And no... the spring seats are not available separately. They were offered briefly on the aftermarket, but not anymore.

That reminds me... I have to follow up on a project I started almost a year ago...

Thanks...so there are no compatible parts off any Jag after 2002?

Maybe we should have a Jag fitment sticky like the wheel fitment sticky that includes your experience with the blistein B4 and Jag springs (or Jag springs in front and LS spring sun back)?

so there are no compatible parts off any Jag after 2002?

That's not what I said. To Expand. Since the S-Type was made up until 2008... the rear shock and spring assemblies, control arms, etc. , should be a direct bolt up on the LS... but the same front parts only work from a 1999- 2002 S-Type. This does not include the S-Type R... which I have not verified compatibility... and most of the S-Type R is a completely different animal.

Ordering or finding parts for a 2002 S-Type is the safest route ... because is removes confusion with the later model years... since the front suspension was redesigned for 2003.

Last edited:
or Jag springs in front and LS spring sun back)?

You definitely don't want to do that. It will mess up the balance of how the vehicle handles.

The LS and Jag springs are completely different animals. The LS uses "fixed rate" springs... and the S-Type uses "progressive rate" springs. If you do a side by side comparison between them, you will see that the Jag spring has an extra coil.

Since factory shocks are NLA for the LS... the Bilstein B4 or B6, (depending on how stiff you want it to ride), for the Jag is the best bet... but that means having to acquire the proper Jag parts to do the conversion... and 2 used lower coil spring isolators from boneyard rear LS shocks... to use on the front Jag springs and shocks.

Last edited:
That's not what I said. To Expand. Since the S-Type was made up until 2008... the rear shock and spring assemblies, control arms, etc. , should be a direct bolt up on the LS... but the same front parts only work from a 1999- 2002 S-Type. This does not include the S-Type R... which I have not verified compatibility... and most of the S-Type R is a completely different animal.

Ordering or finding parts for a 2002 S-Type is the safest route ... because is removes confusion with the later model years... since the front suspension was redesigned for 2003.

Ok, thanks...That was my original question, regarding the rear control arms, upper and lower from 03-08. I knew the front arms were different.

You definitely don't want to do that. It will mess up the balance of how the vehicle handles.

The LS and Jag springs are completely different animals. The LS uses "fixed rate" springs... and the S-Type uses "progressive rate" springs. If you do a side by side comparison between them, you will see that the Jag spring has an extra coil.

Since factory shocks are NLA for the LS... the Bilstein B4 or B6, (depending on how stiff you want it to ride), for the Jag is the best bet... but that means having to acquire the proper Jag parts to do the conversion... and 2 used lower coil spring isolators from boneyard rear LS shocks... to use on the front Jag springs and shocks.

Ok, I now recall the progressive aspect of the Jag springs in one of your posts.
FYI... any new parts ordered through ford will most likely have Jaguar stamped on them. Especially the upper arms
Thanks, the main or A main reason for all the asking is the idea of getting control arms from a "pick a part" and having new bushings pressed in, specifically the Powerflex polyurethane bushings. For rear LCAs, the bushings run about $300 for both sides. That is still less than two new LCAs at over $200 each. All of this with the caveat of ensuring the arms are not damaged when the bushings are pressed in.

My shocks are in relatively good condition, just trying to plan for the future. I managed to score 4-sport coils and shocks from a local salvage yard where a member of one of the FB pages sent his Gen 2 sport (with 56k miles) when he was in an accident. Fortunately the accident did not involve the suspension, he got T-boned.

There's a member on here that did a full rebuild with the Powerflex bushings. It did tighten everything up... but at the expense of extra Noise, Vibration, and Harshness, (NVH). IIRC... he reported back a few months later with some minor quirks that had developed... but I don't remember what they were.

Keep in mind that the bushings only press out/in one way... because there is a "step" that the bushings seat against.

Personally... I never cared for the LS springs... and I had the "Sport" suspension. There seemed to be too much lean on turns... and that was confirmed when I went to the Jag springs.

Another member on here that did the conversion felt the same way.

I'm not trying to change your mind... bit instead, give you some food for thought.

There's a member on here that did a full rebuild with the Powerflex bushings. It did tighten everything up... but at the expense of extra Noise, Vibration, and Harshness, (NVH). IIRC... he reported back a few months later with some minor quirks that had developed... but I don't remember what they were.

Keep in mind that the bushings only press out/in one way... because there is a "step" that the bushings seat against.

Personally... I never cared for the LS springs... and I had the "Sport" suspension. There seemed to be too much lean on turns... and that was confirmed when I went to the Jag springs.

Another member on here that did the conversion felt the same way.

I'm not trying to change your mind... bit instead, give you some food for thought.

Thanks, that's why I am asking...to get input from those who have done the upgrades (regardless of the type) to help determine what I may want to do.

The other question is the compatibility of Gen 1 and Gen 2 parts. From what I have seen they are compatible but maybe not "officially" with different part numbers. I have seen same brand rear LCAs for Gen 1 $100 less than Gen 2.

have seen same brand rear LCAs for Gen 1 $100 less than Gen 2.

Yeah... you're looking at the Moog stuff. It's quality has gone down hill over the last few years.

I know it's alot of money to pay out... but ask yourself 2 questions.

1- How long do I plan on keeping my LS?

2 - How long, (time/miles), have the OEM parts held up ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back