Compatible key for 97/98 (minus PATS)

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to get a regular non PATS key cut for my 97. I am pushing my luck with only one key (not that I have ever lost a key, particularly any of my newer cars with PATS), and want to have a couple of keys cut that will fit the doors and the ignition.

I have a couple of Mark VIII PATS keys that are cut for other cars, but can add the PATS as an additional "key" but use the regular key in the ignition.

I think that my 97 Cougar key is the same (however as it is wrecked I put up the keys in a hard to get to place), how about a 96 Mark VIII?

I am also at a loss on where to get one cut. Probably need to go to a locksmith, as all hardware stores wand the keys, see that it is a "active" key and won't cut a regular key because a regular key will cause damage to the anti theft system ::sigh::.

huh? how?

Yeah, I agree, not even the older GM keys with a resistor in them (since the contacts were raised) could affect the system, if they then go and try to sell me a PATS key that is fun when they try to sell me one like my 00 Grand Marquis uses.

My 97 only came with one key (and no key fobs) so I bought a blank off ebay. Then I took it to ace hardware where they cut it to match. Followed up by doing the pats reprogram procedure and bam ... 2 keys.

As for a regular key ... don't see how that would be any different.

Yeah, there are keys available under 80 bucks each now, and I should spend the 40 bucks on one, I am just a cheap bastard I guess (which makes it tough to be a Mark VIII owner!). When I first got the car I attempted to buy one and it wasn't the correct one, and it was a hassle to return and get my money back, so I am a little gun shy.

The hardware stores somehow think they are liable if my car blows up because of a non transponder key.

I understand the cutting of a 30 dollar key not bought from them...and them not accepting fault if anything happens like the key doesn't work mechanically.

My local ace hardware has high school girls running the register and cutting the keys .... they don't ask anything lol. I was thinking I paid like $30 for the pats key I bought.

What kind of morons are you going to trying to cut keys? Walmart? I've never had anyone refuse me service for a non-chipped copy of my chipped key. They tell me 'you know this won't start your car, right', and I say yeah, and then they do it.

[video]https://youtu.be/DCsLqibkHSE[/video]

It shouldn't have been this hard, but after hitting up a couple more hardware stores and getting a key blank for a 97 Cougar cut I have a backup key. Obviously it is not an elegant solution but I have a backup key to open it, and I programmed in the already cut for another vehicle transponder to my car, so I feel a little better.

And yes, I checked, and my transmission is still there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back