Cold Weather Trans. Problem

01continental

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
'06 LS8 53000 miles-Fluid, filter and trans. re-flash done in past 6 months (3000 miles) trans fluid checked about 2 months ago and no sign of leaking. When the weather is over 50 deg. there are minimal problems, if any. When the car warms up it shifts GREAT. Before warming up the trans. it has a hard time engaging and is grabby, slow to shift when engaging sometimes engaging somewhat hard. The colder the outside temp. is, the more problem. I have done the search thing and have scoured the Internet. I was thinking about getting the solenoid pack and valve body replaced but one of the mechanics at my indy said he tried that on his 5R55W and ended up replacing the whole trans. They are leaving the decision up to me but no pressure either way to do anything. I also saw a trans. breakdown and noticed there was a cold temp. valve to the cooler that appears to be in the valve body.

mines a 04ls v6 120k
it does that too. till its warm

I have done an extensive search on the internet and can find nothing. I think I will go with a solenoid pack and valve body.

Mine sometimes does this too. 04 V6 LS.

Let me know how the solenoid pack works out.

I'll let you know. I will be doing it in the next couple of weeks. The temp outside was 50+ this morning and no problems. If it gets much below that the problems kick in.

I just found out that Ford had 3 solenoid block designs through 2010. Ours is no doubt one of the first designs. There were "Shift issues , pressure spikes , irratic shift , or lack of , etc ...." on the first 2 designs. I am looking at a rebuilt solenoid that does advertise "UPDATED".

The latest ones will have a blue circuit board. The 1st generations had a ribbon type circuit. The one shown does say new, and that IS a good price for new, but you may want to email or call and ask. I am also looking at a valve body with revised AND heavy duty spring valves which will actally inprove shifting. I am waiting for a call about the price. The early valve bodies had one spring actuated valve that did not work properly. There was a TSB about it. The sleeve needed to be honed and a different valve installed. It evidently ruined alot of bands on early transmissions. I know, it is getting VERY complicated. I spent 3 SOLID days searching the internet and reading info from MANY other forums, usually Mustang forums (they share the same trans.) For me price will play a major factor but I will ONLY buy an UPDATED solenoid AND valve body. UPDATED is a MUST for these items. If not, you will have a problem with one or the other sooner or later. Some people have just been very lucky to have 5R55S trans. that last over 150k miles.
By the way, I also found that the solenoid MUST be soaked in trans. fluid BEFORE installation. If not, air pockets may form and ruin the circuit. This is one reason some people think they get a bad rebuilt solenoid soon after installation. Factory solenoids come in a pack with fluid soaking the solenoid to prevent the air pockets.
SORRY this is so long.

Members online

Back