Cold weather knock

owlman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I started the car this morning and hear this loud knocking from the engine like bang-bang-bang-bang! Lasted maybe 30 seconds.
So... is that bad? Sure didn't sound good. Temp was probably upper 30s. I was also parked on an incline facing downward if that matters.

Doesnt sound good. I assume you already verified that the oil level is per manufacturers specs?

Yeah that looked ok. I'm guessing parked on a slope the oil all flowed down into one corner.

Shouldn't matter if its parked on a slope or not. Unless its upside down the pump will pick up oil and circulate it. Sounds like the anti-drain back valve in the oil filter might be shot and is allowing the oil to drain out of the passages in the block overnight. Try changing the filter and see if it still does it.

Upper 30's is cold?? It was in the 20's here today, and i thought it was pretty warm. Sorry to go off topic - I don't have any helpful info - but i think that upper 30's shouldn't be considered an extreme temperature for a vehicle. That knocking probably had nothing to do with the "cold" though.

Shouldn't matter if its parked on a slope or not. Unless its upside down the pump will pick up oil and circulate it. Sounds like the anti-drain back valve in the oil filter might be shot and is allowing the oil to drain out of the passages in the block overnight. Try changing the filter and see if it still does it.

+1

You aren't using like SAE 50 oil or something are you?!?! Does it do this if you were to shut it off (once the knocking is gone) and immediately restart? Does it do this after an hour? I'd say if it only does it after it's been sitting for a while, caddy would be on the money. If it does it when running, shut down and immediately starting, you've got other problems.

+1

You aren't using like SAE 50 oil or something are you?!?! Does it do this if you were to shut it off (once the knocking is gone) and immediately restart? Does it do this after an hour? I'd say if it only does it after it's been sitting for a while, caddy would be on the money. If it does it when running, shut down and immediately starting, you've got other problems.

Oil weight and filter is whatever the Lincoln dealer put in at last change.
It didn't make any noise when I started it this evening after work all day. I'll see if it does anything tomorrow morning. So far it seems to be a one-time thing after sitting for 2 days.

and yeah 30s is cold around here ;)

hmmm... Possible the anti-drain valve got stuck and it was a one time thing. I'd look at replacing the filter just to be safe.

Changing the filter wouldnt hurt, but Im not convinced its the issue. I've changed my oil previously using a new (and obviously empty) oil filter, and I've never had any odd noises at initial startup after the oil change.

Although now when I change my oil, I always pour oil into the filter, turn it around so the oil soaks into the pleats, then empty out the excess (so it wont leak onto the ground) before I install it.

I had the exact same thing happen, but it was -5 here in Minneapolis that day. My car is an '06 with 20k miles and it runs perfect, so there is no oil problem. (I use 5/20 Mobil 1 with a K&N filter)
Im also 99% sure it wasn't the internal engine itself. Ive heard knocking in racing engines that have broken pistons and rods that wasn't this loud. It actually sounded like someone pounding on the inner fender with a ballpeen hammer. It must be some other component in the engine bay. (Id say the noise lasted about 15 - 20 seconds, so it must be the same thing that happened to you). The pounding noise was steady but slow, no where near engine or belt speed. Might be something tin like (heat shield or something) that really pings loud when it suddenly changes temp.. Im going to mention it to the dealer next time I get the oil changed.

Members online

Back