Cold Starts

Drakeo1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Well it looks like the last of the warm breaks are gone for the winter and It's only going to be getting colder from here on out. I have a 94 Conti that Starts fine but was looking into getting a heater for it to help it out in the morning (Yay Chicago Winters :D) I was wondering what type of engine heater you guys would recommend especially would like to hear if you've had any luck with any particular one

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about an engine heater in chicago, unless you want heat very soon after startup. it dont get cold enough there to warrant one.

Unless the temps regularly dip below zero degrees F for extended times, a heater would be un needed, unless of course you want that shot of heat right away. Not saying it will hurt, just not needed.

Also, the best way to warm a car up is to drive it, but of course you knew that. The engine warms up faster and more thoroughly when driven as opposed to sitting and idling.

It get's decently cold here. Also since I don't have a garage it would be nice for it to heat up faster. Let alone the saved wear on all the parts trying to push slurry around instead of warmish oil. I hate driving it when the blocks cold the performance sucks and I can only wonder what I'm doing to the engine as I can definitely feel the resistance. Anyways I'm going to be spending some time up north so I'd like it for that as well.

as I said, it wont hurt anything.

I drive my 91 conti (well, did until the A/S died again), about 3/4 of a mile to work. on the coldest of days here in Traverse City (which can get colder than you get, but we are probably actually close to the same average, due to the lake warming effect), I would start the conti, let it idle for about 20 secs to stabilize it, and drive to work. would be getting heat by the end of the 3/4 mile drive. Note: My speed never gets over 30 mph on drive, as its all residential I drive through.

It really only takes a minute or less to get the oil circulating well. Tests have been done that actually prove that a car that is warmed up by idling suffers more wear than one thats started and driven off.

Again, the engine heater wont hurt anything, but not really needed unless it gets below 0 for extended times

I have an 00 Conti and when it gets cold (...here in Florida) the car will stall and shut off. It'll turn on, and if i don't let it run for a few minutes it'll it gag on me while i'm driving and start jerking back and forth, the RPMs drop, acceleration kinda...dies, and then it shuts off.

Members online

Back