Cold start tapping,How loud is normal?

Chaoticbastard

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know in general from what I have been told on here that I shouldnt worry about the cold start knocking.Tonight it was about 70 degrees.Car was parked for about 10 hours while I was in work.Started it and it sounded a little louder then normal.Maybe because I had 2 cars parked next to me.I dont know.But can that valve chain noise be too loud?Any suggestions welcomed.:D BTW I run Mobil 1 5-30 with a Mobil 1 Filter.

on mine ,the amount i consider "normal" is almost inaudible if the doors are closed and the windows are up and i am sitting inside,i slightly hear a rattle that goes away before i can open the window all the way,

i always tell myself when it becomes clearly heard inside the car i will look into fixing it.
hasnt gotten any louder yet,and many times it doesnt do it for more than .5 seconds

Chaoticbastard said:
I know in general from what I have been told on here that I shouldnt worry about the cold start knocking.Tonight it was about 70 degrees.Car was parked for about 10 hours while I was in work.Started it and it sounded a little louder then normal.Maybe because I had 2 cars parked next to me.I dont know.But can that valve chain noise be too loud?Any suggestions welcomed.:D BTW I run Mobil 1 5-30 with a Mobil 1 Filter.
I would say the cars parked next to you helped to reverberate the sound and make it louder than normal. Drive on. You have an anti-drainback filter installed so I think that is the best you can do at this point. I know that Joe (dynodaddy) on the site had a pretty simple fix to add some shims or something like that. Do a search and see what turns up.

If it bothers you..............

There are pre-oilers available that will keep oil in the system for a lot longer than the anti backflow filters. Probably nothing to worry about, but it can't hurt.

Is the FL820s an anti drainback valve filter? That's what I have been using.

Most filters...........

my95mark8 said:
Is the FL820s an anti drainback valve filter? That's what I have been using.

Almost all modern day filters are of the anti drainback design. Maybe with the exception of the no name $.99 bargain basement, no name, whitebox filters. And if you are using them on a Lincoln, then you deserve to have tapping issues and a whole lot more.

Alright sounds good.The car runs perfect.No noise under High load .Real smooth and strong.I will look into it alittle more but Im not too worried

bufordtpisser said:
Almost all modern day filters are of the anti drainback design. Maybe with the exception of the no name $.99 bargain basement, no name, whitebox filters. And if you are using them on a Lincoln, then you deserve to have tapping issues and a whole lot more.
I agree.
Are the Motorcrafts at Auto Zone the same as the ones from the dealer?

Members online

Back