Cold air bypass door.........

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
....and "blend" door.

Do these exist on my 2000 LS and how often do they give trouble if they do?
For that matter , if they ARE on mine I assume they are almost impossible to access?

Trying to learn the trouble areas for climate controls.

Thanks

I remember the question coming up before and someone stating that there isn't a blend door. That's the extent of my knowledge. I'll know more once I run in to climate control problems.

there is no blend door on the LS, it uses a DCCV, dual climate control valve. It is nine times out of ten the issue with A/C

Somewhere around here or on the net I read where there were some references to a blend door.......confusing.

Anyway , what about the "bypass" door?

Gen I has a cold air bypass door, gen II does not. Neither gen has a blend door.

The LS passes the air for the climate control through the AC evaporator and the heater cores (left core for the left side, right core for the right side). Temperature is controlled by varying the amount of hot coolant flowing through each heater core using the DCCV.

Gen I has a cold air bypass door. Its purpose is to allow the air from the evaporator to bypass the heater cores. This allows you to get cold air a little faster on hot start up. It made so little difference that they eliminated it on gen II. (Note that gen IIs for the first two or three years still reported a false code for failure of this missing door.)

It seems to be common for the climate control to indicate problems with some of the air doors from time to time when they aren't really stuck. This includes the cold air bypass door. With any door codes, you should clear the codes and rerun the test to see if there really is a problem or not.

Gen I has a cold air bypass door, gen II does not. Neither gen has a blend door.

The LS passes the air for the climate control through the AC evaporator and the heater cores (left core for the left side, right core for the right side). Temperature is controlled by varying the amount of hot coolant flowing through each heater core using the DCCV.

Gen I has a cold air bypass door. Its purpose is to allow the air from the evaporator to bypass the heater cores. This allows you to get cold air a little faster on hot start up. It made so little difference that they eliminated it on gen II. (Note that gen IIs for the first two or three years still reported a false code for failure of this missing door.)

It seems to be common for the climate control to indicate problems with some of the air doors from time to time when they aren't really stuck. This includes the cold air bypass door. With any door codes, you should clear the codes and rerun the test to see if there really is a problem or not.

Thanks Joe....... and everyone

Members online

No members online now.
Back