Coils or what>?

jrk042385

LVC Member
Reaction score
So my car is acting funny (hesitating) when i give it gas , my engine light flashs as well but it only does this when i am going between 40 and 60 mph. I just replaced the value gaskets and they found oil in 1 or 2 wells, they also said 2 of the boots on the coils are loose on the plugs. Do i need new coils and plugs or just coils? and if im totally wrong then please forgive me.

By the way how hard is it to replace the coils and plugs on a scale of 1 to 10.

Thanks in advance.

yes they just replaced the seals yesterday and no i havent replaced them in this cat but i have in other cars before, im not mechanically inclined i rebuilt a b16a2 in my si 2 years ago i just havent looked and i like to work smarter not harder

Then you should be fine. Replace the coils and the plugs. I just replaced my plugs and now my coils have gone bad so I'm just waiting for my Accel coils to arrive then I'm going to redo the seals and the coils. Just the coils and plugs however are a pretty easy job. Look it up in the tech article section.

thanks are the accel coils a little taller than the the stock coils i thought i read a post where someone had to leave the covers off because of clearance issuses. Any recommendation of spark plugs?

Yes the Accels are taller but offer a little bit better performance and mpg from what I've heard and unless you buy the generic stock coils off ebay OEM is going to cost you a lot more than the accels. Spark plug wise I run Bosch Premium Iridium/Platinums which are Bosch's top of the line coil so they are a bit pricey (I got them when I worked for Pep Boys), they work great but like I said they're expensive.

its not going to hurt anything to leave the covers off.. IF your CEL light was blinking... then you need to change coil and plugs ASAP. it only blinks on a class A missfire which can cause damage to your CATS! the light blinking also means you have a Stored DTC of p030X code that will tell you what coil is bad if it doesn't just say multiple missfires

im new to this but i have a similar problem. mine is 2004 ls v8 3.9. I GASSED IT ONE DAY AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. THE COMMOM LS PROBLEM!!! COP IS PROBABLY OUT! I COULD FEEL IT WHEN IT WAS QUIET AND IN IDLE, BUT NO BIG POWER LOSS/ DIFFERENCE, 1 WEEK PASSED APPROX AND I CHECKED THE OBD CODES i had a missfire, erased the code (FORGOT THE STUPID CODE NOW I DONT KNOW WHICH CYLINDER ITWAS IN!) , NOW 3 WEEKS PASSED I CAN FEEL LESS POWER ANDMY GAS MILEAGE GONE SOUTH, ITS AT THE DEALER RIGHT NOWCUZ MY POWER STEERING PUMP WENT OUT. MENTIONED THE MISFIRE( HE WROTEI SAID MY CHECK ENGINELIGHT WAS ON BULL:q:q:q:q !) I TOLDHIM THE LIGHT CAME ON I ERASED IT AND SO ON. I CALLED THE GUY TODAY. HE SAYS NOTHING AT ALL IS WRONG WITH THE CAR ONLY THE STEERING PUMP. I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE CASE WHEN MY CAR IS GETTING 14 MPG CITY WHEN I RESET THE FUEL METER BUTTON ON MY DASH, AND THIS IS GOING 30 MILES PER HOUR ON A LONG STRETCGH FOR5 MIN , NO BRAKING NO GASSING, ETC. SO I KNOW THIS GUY PROBABLY DIDNT EVEN ELECTRICALLY TESTS THE COPS'. DOES ANYONE KNOW A RELIABLE PLACE IN LOS ANGELES WHO ACCEPT WARRANTIES TO GET THIS TAKEN CARE OF BECAUSE IM AM SO SICK OF THESE DEALERSHIPS.

IM STILL PROBABLY GOING TO GET CHARGED A 100 DLR FEE JUST FOR DIAGNOSTICSTO TELL ME THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT BECAUSE I SAW THE CODE ITSELF AND I ERASED IT.

ALSO ANYONE KNOW OF A WAY TO TEST MY COP'S WITH A TESTER, DEVICE, RENTAL DEVICE, AUTOZONE ETC, I NEED HELP.

why would you erase the code? you :q:q:q:qed yourself buddy.. you had the hard evidence to get the coils fixed and you erased it!! its a problem in itself just to get the damn missfire light to come on in these cars............

yep i did i idi did i :q:q:q:qedbad up but i saw a whole newset with 2 years warranty on ebay for 140 plus about 20 for shipping or try to find it with a spark tester if i can. can I ? and replace that one. im am a dumb person sometimes.

yep i did i idi did i :q:q:q:qedbad up but i saw a whole newset with 2 years warranty on ebay for 140 plus about 20 for shipping or try to find it with a spark tester if i can. can I ? and replace that one. im am a dumb person sometimes.

just bought those and install yesterday...they work great my lincoln is back to life!

Members online

Back