coils again.......

92spi

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so, found some new motorcraft dg-515 coils on e-bay for just under $40 bucks a pop-free shipping. is this a good deal? could these be new, old stock? under the impression that dg-529 were the newer/newest style. kinda thinkin' 'bout pullin' the trigger on 8 of 'em; 90k on a 2000 ls8, and vcg change found them swimming in oil (gray gaskets) 'bout a month or so ago. temperate driving only nets me 17 mpg. feel like I should be gettin' more than that. read the one and only coil thread that needs to be on the site, and didn't get answer on new, old stock question. these should be good, right? will be going w/recommended plugs in aforementioned thread. no check engine lights ever. any and all responses welcomed.:cool:

...With No CEL's ?? I'd be hesitant to replace a single or a few COP's + plugs, unless I "indeed had" a trouble code pop up.
...But, if your just gonna purchase for a rainy day... Kool.

...I'm inserting a pic of what/where ordered, BUT, I don't kow if $price is currently the same, what I bought them for $39.95.
...You'll notice the ad is titled w/ DG-515 , but detailed specs is described as DG-529. In the end what I received was DG-529.

Ignition Coil (via Ebay).jpg

Ignition Coil (via Ebay).jpg

Ignition Coil (via Ebay) b.JPG

...With No CEL's ?? I'd be hesitant to replace a single or a few COP's + plugs, unless I "indeed had" a trouble code pop up.

Okay. Apparently this has to be repeated every so often. Many times, the coils on the LS become marginal instead of failing outright. They often never produce a trouble code. Even the dealers have instructions to stress test them instead of just looking for DTCs. If you can feel anything that seems like a light misfire, you need to replace them. Otherwise, you will be replacing some expensive catalytic converters.

first off, thank you gents for your replies. patience is indeed a virtue. I just didn't know if my coils were motorcraft or not. apparently not. 17mpg is just not enough for this car driven like I do. dino-that's where I ordered 8 motorcraft coils and motorcraft 468 plugs from for $362.32 yesterday. said to be delivered 24-26 march. can't really feel a miss-tranny always felt funny anyway. clean maf, throttle body, egr; did the tranny flush last week (that went very well). after coil/plug install will do the bat disconnect and we'll see what happens. please post up any other tricks or tips to keep me from having to replace cats. 90k 2000 v8.

first off, thank you gents for your replies. patience is indeed a virtue. I just didn't know if my coils were motorcraft or not. apparently not. 17mpg is just not enough for this car driven like I do. dino-that's where I ordered 8 motorcraft coils and motorcraft 468 plugs from for $362.32 yesterday. said to be delivered 24-26 march. can't really feel a miss-tranny always felt funny anyway. clean maf, throttle body, egr; did the tranny flush last week (that went very well). after coil/plug install will do the bat disconnect and we'll see what happens. please post up any other tricks or tips to keep me from having to replace cats. 90k 2000 v8.

If those are original plugs and coils you are most likely we'll overdue for new!

when I did the vcg change; the coils didn't say motorcraft anywhere on them. they had a sticker on the butt end w/some of the correct numbers, but nothing saying motorcraft. plugs were autolite.

when I did the vcg change; the coils didn't say motorcraft anywhere on them. they had a sticker on the butt end w/some of the correct numbers, but nothing saying motorcraft. plugs were autolite.

Sounds original. IIRC, my factory coils just had a Ford number imprinted on them. Some of the plugs were NGK and some were Autolite.

Sounds original. IIRC, my factory coils just had a Ford number imprinted on them. Some of the plugs were NGK and some were Autolite.

yeah, I don't get the thinking by ford. should be motorcraft embossed on coil/boots/plugs from the factory just to reinforce owner loyalty if for no other reason. when you see different manufacturers names on parts in similar locations on car; does nothing for my confidence. just sayin'.

so, got the coils & plugs in the mail yesterday. and installed. topped up the tank and reset the trip meter. batt disconnect and reset. 'bout a 20 mile drive; various speeds, up to 75mph for short interstate run. got home and seemed to be a little more of a "catalytic converter smell" (sulfur dioxide?)- maybe they got a little hotter from working w/a correct "burn" in the engine? don't know. only time will tell if these monies were worth it-long and short term. and thanx to M4rk for the tranny flush thread. I mighta figured it all out myself, but those words were spot on for me.

just a follow-up; after 2 tanks of gas-slide rule calculations net almost 23 mpg w/aforementioned 'temperate' driving. mostly 55mph plus. seems the coils/plugs were missing and no cel ever. thanx to all that posted.

Not sure if you've already done this but you may want to replace the fuel filter (inside front driver side wheel well behind plastic liner).
Makes a huge difference in throttle response and Mpg's ... always good practice to replace fuel filter and air intake breather element annually.

Bottle of TKO 2000 and she'll pay you back 10 fold!

Marginal misfiring coils won't throw a code unless you WOT hard, it may flash and you'd have to read it on the fly as within the same drive cycle it clears quickly once within tolerance again. (my experience w/ 01 V8) ... Might have burned up your CATs a bit driving that long with a constant misfire.

Fun times!

Not sure if you've already done this but you may want to replace the fuel filter (inside front driver side wheel well behind plastic liner).
Makes a huge difference in throttle response and Mpg's ... always good practice to replace fuel filter and air intake breather element annually.

Bottle of TKO 2000 and she'll pay you back 10 fold!

Marginal misfiring coils won't throw a code unless you WOT hard, it may flash and you'd have to read it on the fly as within the same drive cycle it clears quickly once within tolerance again. (my experience w/ 01 V8) ... Might have burned up your CATs a bit driving that long with a constant misfire.

Fun times!
thanx for posting. had not done the fuel filter/tko 2000. on my short list now. have a hite cai kit on it . cats may be burnt a lil'. be nice to squeeze a bit more out of it. fun times, indeed!

When you get the old fuel filter out, try holding it upside down, reverse flow remaining fuel into a drain bin
... you'll be amazed by the amount of brown gunk/mud that comes out and the initial throttle response with the new one in.

One of the best thing you could do for any car, fuel and air breather filters! (coils/plugs 'course also)

TKO 2000 is a GREAT product, cleans the whole system out real good!

GL

When you get the old fuel filter out, try holding it upside down, reverse flow remaining fuel into a drain bin
... you'll be amazed by the amount of brown gunk/mud that comes out and the initial throttle response with the new one in.

One of the best thing you could do for any car, fuel and air breather filters! (coils/plugs 'course also)

TKO 2000 is a GREAT product, cleans the whole system out real good!

GL

I guess TKO 2000 can only be acquired in Canada, eh?

Members online

No members online now.
Back