Coilpacks

Another canadian coil thread...lol just kidding. No man. They're different.

take a look at the ones on the website what do you think they look like the ones on my 04

I'm pretty sure they're different than what is in your v6. The top of the coil may look the same but if you check part numbers on Rockauto.com the part numbers are different from v8 to the v6 IIRC.

I think you will find the rubber boots are different, even if the COP looks the same. The rubber boots w/springs can be ordered separately.

I think you will find the rubber boots are different, even if the COP looks the same. The rubber boots w/springs can be ordered separately.

I think that the mounting tab is in a different position relative to the body and the connector as well.

he says they are different, but doesnt say what those differences are?

i recently did a side by side comparo of a stock type V6 coil with the Accel 140032 - which most seem to gravitate towards on V8s if not using stock type coils - and they were virtually identical.

the only differences on the Accel's from the stocker V6 coil was the plug was upside down, slighty canted up, and the boot/spring. the Accel coil body had a "flat" on it, about 3/8" long, that fit into a corresponding recess in the boot to locate it a specific way, but I popped off both boots and put the stocker boot on the Accel and didnt see any issue.

I do know/have seen that people need to ( or should ) use some L shaped bracket that Hite makes when putting Accels on V8 cars, but based on my quick rudimentary research, those arent needed for V6 cars?

and OBTW....i found the Accels on Amazon for $26 each, with free shipping! LOL beats the pants off $42 from Advance auto and $30 from Summit.

Why not just buy the right part in the first place?

Boggles my mind.

Because OP is a) 16y old and broke; b) Canadian.

Still perplexed?

LOL...if so well this is the wrong vehicle for a 16 year old.

I didn't even have a car at 16.

You can find the Accel coils cheaper than 26ea. If you buy the whole set (part number 140032-8) you can get them from Wicked Car Parts website for $170/set. I dont know if they work on the V6 but IIRC someone did Accels on V6. I dont remember who did it. The good thing about Accels is if you have an issue with one you can go right down to the local parts store and get one instead of waiting for them to come in the mail. The boot seals tight in the plug well so there is no issue with water getting in. You just push the boot as far in as you can and its water tight. And no, you cant use the coil covers with the Accels. They are too tall.
http://www.wickedcarparts.com/2003-ford-explorer-accel-high-performance-replacement-ignition-coils-140032-8-ignition-coils-set-of-8/

I also do make aluminum brackets to mount them on the V8. I have no idea if they work on the V6. My guess would be no but thats just a guess. $20/set, double that to Canada.
100_1423.jpg

100_1428.jpg

100_1727-1.jpg

Thanks for the close up shots of the Accels on a V8. Can you elaborate on what your L backets do/facilitate? In other words, would a stocker coil be mounted where the hex head bolt is placed / is the backet simply a means to alter the clocking of the Accel for better positioning of the connector / is it a depth issue and the bracket makes up for that?

Thanks

thats inappropriate Mark... dare I say hate crimeish

Psh, can't be hatin' on myself. Just hatin' on obnoxious turds that never search, like lking. Just so happens that he's also Canadian like myself :D

27126159.jpg

Psh, can't be hatin' on myself. Just hatin' on obnoxious turds that never search, like lking. Just so happens that he's also Canadian like myself :D

27126159.jpg

"obnoxious turds"? (wants to start name calling) lol this goofs got balls? no wait this is online i'm sure he wouldnt dare say that to me in person or maybe he would

Thanks for the close up shots of the Accels on a V8. Can you elaborate on what your L backets do/facilitate? In other words, would a stocker coil be mounted where the hex head bolt is placed / is the backet simply a means to alter the clocking of the Accel for better positioning of the connector / is it a depth issue and the bracket makes up for that?

Thanks

The factory COP's mount where the hex bolt is. The brackets are to get the COP to line up perfectly with the spark plug well.

Im not aloud to talk about the "C" word, but he's got you on the search thing... Although $.50 quotes help alot...

I also do make aluminum brackets to mount them on the V8. I have no idea if they work on the V6. My guess would be no but thats just a guess. $20/set, double that to Canada.

Did I miss the product announcement thread?
HitePerformance will need to start shipping catalogs pretty soon!
Excellent work!
This almost inspires me to get the fan controller mapped onto a PCB, get a few printed in China, assemble and sell 'em. Almost.

Members online

Back