Coilover conversion....any kit better then the other?

Blackout

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well is there more then one coil over conversion kit? If so which is the best? Because the struts on my Mark VIII are shot and I'm not spending $1400 on a set pair

Struts R US

Blackout said:
Well is there more then one coil over conversion kit? If so which is the best? Because the struts on my Mark VIII are shot and I'm not spending $1400 on a set pair

I used Struts R US and I love them, I called them two times when I was installing them just to make sure I had the coils in the correct orientation and again to make sure I was cutting the correct computer wire, they were very knowledgable and helpful. I paid just under $400 for the four wheel set. They handle soooo much better, I also installed the large rear sway bar and I have a completely different car, it really handles great!

I really loved my air ride and was afraid I was making a mistake but it is definately the way to go!

talk to cubster he just did it and is a happy happy camper

You can buy brand new 2nd Gen struts for your 1st Gen car for about $400/pair. Call Max or Eddie and get brand new ones. $1400 quoted to you is a joke. Trust us guys on the site here. We won't lead you astray. You can install them yourself in a couple hours or have a shop do it for you in about an hour.

got mine from strutmasters,they worked with me and install was easy,i also got the addco swaybar.hit the link at the bottom and give em a call,ask for matt and maybe he'll match or beat any other price,just ask,i'm not promising but they are willing to go the extra mile....jeff :Beer

Yes, Monster is right, IF you want to stay with air. And no, $1400 isnt unrealistic. I added up the cost of a new compressor, new gen 2 struts, new rear bags, a spider valve, and labor.... guess what you get?...$1385.00

But, since I do all my own work, and thanks to some excellent suppliers, those prices are what someone with no knowledge of sites like this, would expect to pay, if they wanted to replace EVERYTHING!

Anyway, to answer the actual questions asked in this thread, I too went with Struts-R-Us. I ordered a 4-wheel kit, 1.5 inches lower, and paid $395 for it. I also installed new Monroe shocks on the rear to compliment the new front shock portion of the kit. My addco 1-1/4 rear bar followed a few months later.

it is a whole new car. But before we give you the wrong impression, let me justify something for you.

A front air spring is incorporated with a sealed gas shock. The unit is totally unserviceable. This means, although the bag may still hold air, the gas shock portion of your air ride can, and does wear out. However, this "wear" occurs so gradually, you hardly notice. And since you are litterally driving on air, the ride is still 'tolerable". But, eventually, the air bag begins to leak. That is when most have them replaced with either new ones, or coils.

Guess what? No matter what you go with, the coils, OR the air springs...both options come with a BRAND NEW GAS SHOCK incorporated in the assembly. This is what makes the ride feel "so much better"... not the coils. So many people replace their dead front airsprings with coils, and think the imrpoved ride is all due to coil springs, and they immediately blame the air ride. I know... I did too.

But, knowing now what new air springs, and new coils feel like, I can honestly say, neither is "better" than the other. They both will ride better than the old shock/airspring combo.

so, people... take it from me...a coil converteee who has also driven on brand new air springs....the improved ride isnt the coils... its the gas shocks built into the assembly.

So, if you love the air ride, but are afraid it wont ride any better than it does with your old air springs... you're wrong.

if you dont need the benefits of air ride, and dont wnat to "worry" about future problems, go coils... they both ride better than your old set up... they have to... they're BRAND NEW.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about installs, or check my TECH article on this site.

remember...if its air you love... keep it. If it doesnt matter what is under your car... go with either... its YOUR car, and YOUR money...I'm just here to help.

BlackIceLSC said:
Yes, Monster is right, IF you want to stay with air. And no, $1400 isnt unrealistic. I added up the cost of a new compressor, new gen 2 struts, new rear bags, a spider valve, and labor.... guess what you get?...$1385.00

But, since I do all my own work, and thanks to some excellent suppliers, those prices are what someone with no knowledge of sites like this, would expect to pay, if they wanted to replace EVERYTHING!

Anyway, to answer the actual questions asked in this thread, I too went with Struts-R-Us. I ordered a 4-wheel kit, 1.5 inches lower, and paid $395 for it. I also installed new Monroe shocks on the rear to compliment the new front shock portion of the kit. My addco 1-1/4 rear bar followed a few months later.

it is a whole new car. But before we give you the wrong impression, let me justify something for you.

A front air spring is incorporated with a sealed gas shock. The unit is totally unserviceable. This means, although the bag may still hold air, the gas shock portion of your air ride can, and does wear out. However, this "wear" occurs so gradually, you hardly notice. And since you are litterally driving on air, the ride is still 'tolerable". But, eventually, the air bag begins to leak. That is when most have them replaced with either new ones, or coils.

Guess what? No matter what you go with, the coils, OR the air springs...both options come with a BRAND NEW GAS SHOCK incorporated in the assembly. This is what makes the ride feel "so much better"... not the coils. So many people replace their dead front airsprings with coils, and think the imrpoved ride is all due to coil springs, and they immediately blame the air ride. I know... I did too.

But, knowing now what new air springs, and new coils feel like, I can honestly say, neither is "better" than the other. They both will ride better than the old shock/airspring combo.

so, people... take it from me...a coil converteee who has also driven on brand new air springs....the improved ride isnt the coils... its the gas shocks built into the assembly.

So, if you love the air ride, but are afraid it wont ride any better than it does with your old air springs... you're wrong.

if you dont need the benefits of air ride, and dont wnat to "worry" about future problems, go coils... they both ride better than your old set up... they have to... they're BRAND NEW.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about installs, or check my TECH article on this site.

remember...if its air you love... keep it. If it doesnt matter what is under your car... go with either... its YOUR car, and YOUR money...I'm just here to help.

QUESTION: Replaced the shocks in the rear, ride is better... much
Can I run the coil with the gas-strut, and keep the air rear. Since you can change the shock on the rear, it kinda keeps the bag in better shape and I think over the long run and I'll get great life from my rear air springs.

Blackout said:

I just had it done, I bought the struts & coils from 1 of our sponsors here, Struts-r-us, Tim @ struts was a huge help, in his price 399.00 +24 shipping he included the 1.5" lowering, the Monroe Sensatrac shocks were 54.00, the installer charged me 280.00 for the conversion, total for everything was 757.00. I'd also like to thank Ray and Craig for their help and assistance in giving me peace of mind and lots of good advice. I'm very pleased with this conversion, the car looks gr8 a little lower & the ride is better as well. Prior to having this done when I'd go over a speed bump ( slowly ) my car seemed to hop, well, it doesn't any more, I'd recommend this conversion HIGHLY !!!!!!!

Cubster said:
I just had it done, I bought the struts & coils from 1 of our sponsors here, Struts-r-us, Tim @ struts was a huge help, in his price 399.00 +24 shipping he included the 1.5" lowering, the Monroe Sensatrac shocks were 54.00, the installer charged me 280.00 for the conversion, total for everything was 757.00. I'd also like to thank Ray and Craig for their help and assistance in giving me peace of mind and lots of good advice. I'm very pleased with this conversion, the car looks gr8 a little lower & the ride is better as well. Prior to having this done when I'd go over a speed bump ( slowly ) my car seemed to hop, well, it doesn't any more, I'd recommend this conversion HIGHLY !!!!!!!

Are these comparable... Price seems good even for air stuts:
http://www.arnottindustries.com/parts_Lincoln_Mark_VIII_8_yid7.html

Has anyone done a weight comparison of the coil system vs the air ride system w/compressor? It's probably not much if any, but I'm just curious.

Cubster said:
Obviously you didn't read my response very well, I went to the web site you posted, Struts-r-us are 100.00 cheaper !!!

Nice.... Obviously you didn't read my response CUB....
I was talking about the air struts.

Kbob said:
And so it begins.

They just cant let it go.

As far as weight comparisons...I weighed the air ride(gen 1), and the coils... there is a total 42 lb difference in the entire set. Coils weighing more, of course.

Let me point out a few things about that post. You make up your own mind, but I saw it and made some inquiries and discovered a few things.

First of all - To my knowlege nobody has claimed Struts R Us has cheated them. In fact the several people from here that have purchased from them have been completely satisified;

Second. That post on the other forum was posted by a competitor of Struts R Us;

Third. I did some checking. The site www struts-r-us1 com was originally the beginnings of a competitor site. If you look here, this is the way the page was on April 28, 2004. The page was built to be a competitor site, and strangely enough was trying to glom onto the name of Strurs R Us to do business.

So the site was brought to the attention of everyone by a competitor, who is now selling a similar part again, and the site was originally going to be a competitor. If you read the whole thread on the other board, nobody there speaks of a negative experience with Struts R Us, and several speak of positive experiences with them.

Now - I dont know if anything on that site is true. However, in my book its called into suspicion because of the fact that the site was originally going to be a competitor and that the issue was raised by a competitor. I see no evidence that Struts R Us has cheated anyone, but I see satisfied customers. If you look at his EBAY FEEDBACK he has 126 positive points and 2 negative. 98.5% positive.

Also - WHen I do a google search for "Tim Whitfield" Courier-Times I find NO news stories regarding any criminal behavior. Same is true if I search for "Tim Whitfield" Roxboro Arrest --- Nothing. That is unusual, believe me.

When I look at the scanned documents on that site, I see the "Court Dates and Charges" are for HUBERT Whitfield, not Tim.

Now, I dont know the truth as to the allegations in the site listed - but frankly I dont care. Even if true...Who cares? Assume it is, so the guy made a mistake and got into something he shouldnt have. He is trying to make a living now. I have seen NOTHING to indicate the guy has ripped anyone off in regard to his parts. Several have stepped forward to say they bought from him and he gave them good product and good service.

Dont place all your faith in some cheap scans on a webpage that hides its registration information and was once trying to be a competitor. To protect the integrity of LVC, I looked into all this when it was originally posted and I find the whole thing fishy at best. I have no reason to doubt the integrity of Strut's R Us and would purchase from him easily if I wanted coils.

Thats my opinion. Do as you like of course. But I dont want anyone making accusations here unless you can back them up with relevent and verifyable facts. Thats fair to all IMO.

And no, I havent locked or deleted this thread. I dont believe in doing that for anything but an absolute last resort.

Joeychgo said:
Let me point out a few things about that post. You make up your own mind, but I saw it and made some inquiries and discovered a few things.

First of all - To my knowlege nobody has claimed Struts R Us has cheated them. In fact the several people from here that have purchased from them have been completely satisified;

Second. That post on the other forum was posted by a competitor of Struts R Us;

Third. I did some checking. The site www struts-r-us1 com was originally the beginnings of a competitor site. If you look here, this is the way the page was on April 28, 2004. The page was built to be a competitor site, and strangely enough was trying to glom onto the name of Strurs R Us to do business.

So the site was brought to the attention of everyone by a competitor, who is now selling a similar part again, and the site was originally going to be a competitor. If you read the whole thread on the other board, nobody there speaks of a negative experience with Struts R Us, and several speak of positive experiences with them.

Now - I dont know if anything on that site is true. However, in my book its called into suspicion because of the fact that the site was originally going to be a competitor and that the issue was raised by a competitor. I see no evidence that Struts R Us has cheated anyone, but I see satisfied customers. If you look at his EBAY FEEDBACK he has 126 positive points and 2 negative. 98.5% positive.

Also - WHen I do a google search for "Tim Whitfield" Courier-Times I find NO news stories regarding any criminal behavior. Same is true if I search for "Tim Whitfield" Roxboro Arrest --- Nothing. That is unusual, believe me.

When I look at the scanned documents on that site, I see the "Court Dates and Charges" are for HUBERT Whitfield, not Tim.

Now, I dont know the truth as to the allegations in the site listed - but frankly I dont care. Even if true...Who cares? Assume it is, so the guy made a mistake and got into something he shouldnt have. He is trying to make a living now. I have seen NOTHING to indicate the guy has ripped anyone off in regard to his parts. Several have stepped forward to say they bought from him and he gave them good product and good service.

Dont place all your faith in some cheap scans on a webpage that hides its registration information and was once trying to be a competitor. To protect the integrity of LVC, I looked into all this when it was originally posted and I find the whole thing fishy at best. I have no reason to doubt the integrity of Strut's R Us and would purchase from him easily if I wanted coils.

Thats my opinion. Do as you like of course. But I dont want anyone making accusations here unless you can back them up with relevent and verifyable facts. Thats fair to all IMO.

And no, I havent locked or deleted this thread. I dont believe in doing that for anything but an absolute last resort.

:I Tim treated me right, & as far as I'm concerned I'd highly recommend him, he has a quality product & is at least $ 100.00 CHEAPER than his competiors !!!!!!

BlackIceLSC said:
As far as weight comparisons...I weighed the air ride(gen 1), and the coils... there is a total 42 lb difference in the entire set. Coils weighing more, of course.
That's more than I would have guessed. Thanks for the info!

So you can go coil over with some big dubs and really turn this car into a slug. Humm. Let me think about that.

I am in the process of doing a coil swap. Although I am using the Koni adjustable shocks with the Eibach lowering springs.

MonsterMark said:
So you can go coil over with some big dubs and really turn this car into a slug. Humm. Let me think about that.

Bryan, don't knock it til you've tried it, surprisingly the ride, ( in my opinion ) is as good as the air susp. I'm very pleased with it, as a matter of fact I'm going 1 step further by adding a rear sway bar, should help a lot over stock going into a ramp on the interstate.

Cubby

we are missing the point of this post ,its comparing companies ,let the guys make theyre own decisions,lets just offer our experience with the differant kits and companies,i used one,and was satisfied, some other guys used another,and were happy,so do your research,and compare,and pick the best one for you.everyone knows my choice,and my opinion,and what kit i'd go with, but you know what they say about opinions.......

Cubster said:
Bryan, don't knock it til you've tried it, surprisingly the ride, ( in my opinion ) is as good as the air susp. I'm very pleased with it, as a matter of fact I'm going 1 step further by adding a rear sway bar, should help a lot over stock going into a ramp on the interstate.

Cubby
Not knocking it at all. I actually think it makes sense if you want a suspension to be more reactive, especially when lowered. Myself, I am modifying the current struts to accept a lower stance while maintaining the performance of a full bag. Of course, I don't like the added weight. By the time you do tires in 18", you have probably added 100 lbs plus. Bigger sway bars front and rear are a must if you want better handling.

Joey... nice mafia-background work! Thank you. I should have come to you months ago. Well done. That should end it clear and simple.

However, since that thread on the other board FINALLY died, I am going to let it rest in peace. othewise, I'd post the google archive/cache thread to shut the nay-sayers up. I hope anyone else who visits that other site will do the same. It died...let it rest.

And as far as adding weight by installing coils Monster... the weight difference is off-set as soon as you remove the compressor, dryer, solenoids, and bracketry! :)

Members online

Back