Coil spring info

sneakelman

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK folks, here's the lowdown on doing and re-doing and finally getting a spring kit right, to hopefully save someone some major headaches.
After replacing my bags with the inch and a half lower spring kit from Eddie at American Air Suspension(and I HIGHLY recommend you buy from him) I had a nasty creeking coming from the springs. After several trips up on the lift and removing and greasing and replacing and more re greasing, I finally found what was making the dam noise. In the kit, the top "hat" for the spring has 4 points that come down from the flat plate. These hold the spring in place. What was happening, was that the spring was making contact with the points and causing it to bind when it was compressing.(car moving up and down) It took a little investigation work to find this too. It isn't something you would normally look for, or even see for that matter. All that was needed was to remove the spring, put the points in the vise and bend them outward a little. Not much, just enough so that the spring didn't make contact. After putting it all back together again, I am happy to report that it is church mouse quiet, and has been for days now.
I contacted Eddie and told him about the problem with the top "hat" and he got right on it. Helluva nice guy to work with and his service is great. I'm certain that he will have his supplier reconfigure the top hat. Grind the points down or flare them out to avoid any metal on metal contact. But, in the meantime, if anyone gets the kit, BEFORE you put it in, flare the points outward about a half inch and grease your bushings well. Do this and all will be smooth and quiet.
Oh yeah, the kit is a breeze to put in. I can do the rear in less time than most people can change their oil.(read LOTSA practice now LOL) Whole car can be done in less than 3 hours in the driveway.
Hope this helps someone. If anyone has ?'s or needs some info/help, just yell.
GET IN, SIT DOWN, AND DON'T TOUCH MYY STEREO

Members online

No members online now.
Back