Coil spring conversion woes

Limey

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My '92 LSC was professionally converted to coil springs before I bought it using parts imported from the U.S.
But, it sits backwards and I don't like it. Is this normal? I mean, like I can get 2 fingers between tyre and fender at the rear but almost my whole hand at the front. I do have extra weight at the rear in the form of an LPG tank in the trunk but even so...
The back looks the perfect height but the front just looks too tall.

Opinions?

o-kay, I really wondered if anyone had experience or knowledge of the available spring conversions and also of the correct ride height for the MKVII

Limey said:
o-kay, I really wondered if anyone had experience or knowledge of the available spring conversions and also of the correct ride height for the MKVII
There's plenty of information about the air springs but very little about the steel springs. You're correct that the "trim" height is incorrect. Two fingers front and rear would be much better.

I would physically check to see if all four bags were actually removed. If there is in deed four steel springs in there, then find out why the FRONT is high as the rear sounds right. Culprits could be spacers or wrong springs in the front.

John "I-Love-My-Air-Spring-Rides" Dancy

A number of things could have happened. They could have botched the install, the springs could have settled, or maybe even the rear spring mounts deformed a bit as you need new spring mounts on the body to properly resist the load of a coil spring. I'd crawl under, check, and probably look into new springs or a spacer.

Yes you're right, I'll have to brave the elements and take a look. Although, I think I'd rather drop the front than raise the back.

One coil out with an angle grinder?:shifty: :)

Limey said:
Yes you're right, I'll have to brave the elements and take a look. Although, I think I'd rather drop the front than raise the back.

One coil out with an angle grinder?:shifty: :)

the cheap and easy fix would be pull the front spings out and cut one coil off at a time. remove one coil put them back in see how it sits. remove another put them back in and see how it sits.

i had to this 4 times for both the front and rear last time i did my spring conversion in order to get the car to sit where i wanted it.

I had a sky-high '58 Chevy a few years back and I cut out 2 coils in one go...

It was then so low I had a job to get the trolley jack back out !!!

I saw your pictures looks good What.. I would cut one coil off and see how it sits.

What part of England are you from ? I have family in Helston and Birmingham.

Sergmark said:
I saw your pictures looks good What.. I would cut one coil off and see how it sits.

What part of England are you from ? I have family in Helston and Birmingham.

Thanks.
Doesn't look too bad in those pics as there isn't much fuel in it. If I fill the gas (okay, LPG) tank, and the petrol (okay, gas) tank, it really leans back. Then if I have people in the back seat too, I'm blinding other drivers with my DIP beam!!

I'm in North Staffordshire about an hour from Birmingham.

Just thought i would throw something in. When you cut the coils you are not only changing the height of the spring your changing the RATE of the spring. Think about that before you get the old chop saw out and go to town with it.

If you have constant rate springs (you don't) it doesn't make much difference. Variable rate springs, however, when you chop em, ride like ass, so to speak.

Heating them up is also a bad thing. Changing the height, rate, and the temper all at the same time seems to me to be a really bad idea.

Do you happen to know what kit was put in your car before you got it, for spring conversion i mean?

Unfortunately not no. I had assumed they were constant rate springs at the front, why do you think they will be variable?

You are of course right about the rate changing with coil removal. Removing a coil would stiffen the rate up and to be honest that would be better. The front feels like it's riding on marshmallows at the moment!

The spec for a lsc is a variable rate spring front and rear in both types of conversion kits.

Yeah, i got a shorter spring kit for mine, lowered it 3/4 of an inch, ride is very firm and still comfortable. But my other "car" is a Lightning, and it rides like a log truck.

Well, I've done it!
Removed front springs yesterday and chopped off one complete coil from the bottom with an angle grinder (high tech!).:eek:
It was the easiest car I have ever removed springs from. Dead simple.

And anyway....

Spring compressors are for girls...

:D :D :D

JoshMcMadMac said:
And those that value their extremities.

With the car on axle stands, the nut removed from the top of the damper, and the anti-roll bar link undone, the lower suspension arm dropped sufficiently for there to be no tension on the spring at all. It just pulled out by hand.

I was joking.

Limey said:
With the car on axle stands, the nut removed from the top of the damper, and the anti-roll bar link undone, the lower suspension arm dropped sufficiently for there to be no tension on the spring at all. It just pulled out by hand.

I was joking.

You are right...there is no need for a compressor for that situation; it's the coil-over setup where the compressor is needed.

Members online

Back