Coil replacement and vcg

BlackBurb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does the valve cover have to be removed to replace a coil? The reason I ask is I had a coil replaced on my 03 V8 under warranty a couple months ago and the vcg has been leaking just a little bit onto the exhaust since about that time. The previous owner had the vcg update done just before I bought the car last year. Been only about 6000 miles since they were replaced. Should not be leaking!

The coils are removed without removing the valve cover and you are correct, they should not be leaking if they were done that recently!

Didn't think they had to pull the cover to replace the coil. Must just be a coincidence that it started leaking about the time I had the coil replaced.

Didn't think they had to pull the cover to replace the coil. Must just be a coincidence that it started leaking about the time I had the coil replaced.

The 03 (and only the 03) is covered for valve cover gaskets up until 10 yr, 100K miles. It may be that the leak has to be into a plug well to get coverage, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

The 03 (and only the 03) is covered for valve cover gaskets up until 10 yr, 100K miles. It may be that the leak has to be into a plug well to get coverage, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

As I mentioned in my original post, that was just done by the po shortly before I bought the car. I have the receipt for it. Would they warranty the warranty repair? And it was at a dealership over 125 miles from me. My dealer is not easy to deal with and I doubt they'll do anything to help. If I had to take the car back to the dealer that did the job, it would cost me more in gas and my time than to just replace the gasket myself.

As I mentioned in my original post, that was just done by the po shortly before I bought the car. I have the receipt for it. Would they warranty the warranty repair? And it was at a dealership over 125 miles from me. My dealer is not easy to deal with and I doubt they'll do anything to help. If I had to take the car back to the dealer that did the job, it would cost me more in gas and my time than to just replace the gasket myself.

It should still be covered as long as it was done by a Ford dealer using the correct gaskets. I would think that any VC leak would be covered for one year after replacement.

As I figured, my local dealer won't do anything. They said if they had done the original service, maybe they could fudge the dates or something.

It's been more than a year. They were done in January 2010

In other terms, it's a recall.. You bring the car in and they will replace the COPs (if they fail) and VCGs if they are leaking.. It doesn't matter if they've been done recently. If it wasn't done correctly, you should be able to have them redone as long as your under 100K.. Joe just doesn't know if the leak has to be in the plug well 'to be considered as a leak'..

As I figured, my local dealer won't do anything.

What one are you going to? I hope not Northern Motors..

I may call the dealer in WI that did the vcg originally and see what they say. Or I may just try tightening up the bolts and see if it stops leaking. It isn't bad, just enough to smell burning oil. Ick!

I had the burnt oil smell for a few weeks in January. Pull into the garage and shut it off and there it was...concerning and annoying as hell.

I had an oil change a just before the burnt oil smell and thought that maybe the tech had spilled some oil, so I checked and then noticed that my oil had been over filled. Took it back to the tech and they "removed" a quantity of oil, and after a few weeks the smell went away.

I had oil on the DS exhaust manifold. I could only see the wet oil on edge of the vcg by using a mirror and flashlight. I then pulled the driver side coil cover and there was not any oil in coil/plug wells.

Not sure of the long term effects of overfilling...can it cause a leak?......have heard horror stories and have heard of no effect. This was back in January.

I guess I'm suggesting to check your oil level, but that sounds crazy...I know.

2002 LS V8 69K miles

Well, I can check my oil, but even if it is overfilled, the vcg still shouldn't leak. Especially when they were just replaced with the updated ones 6000 miles ago. It is driver's side and right in the middle. I looked awhile back and couldn't see anything. Last Saturday, I ran her hard, got her nice and hot and when I opened the hood, there was a little wisp of smoke telling me right where to look. I gotta get rid of this piece of sh*t before it starts costing my money!

I have it right in front of my face.. Tell the Ford dealer to look up the TSB/extended warranty 07M07 dated July 2007 that addresses this issue.. It should be covered

Oh, I brought the receipt with the 07M07 with me to my local dealer. Didn't make a sh*t-bit of difference to them. I'm well aware of the bulletin. I had to explain it to the dealer - twice - to get a bad coil replaced already. They're a bunch of morons.

Oh, I brought the receipt with the 07M07 with me to my local dealer. Didn't make a sh*t-bit of difference to them. I'm well aware of the bulletin. I had to explain it to the dealer - twice - to get a bad coil replaced already. They're a bunch of morons.

A call to corporate may help them "wise up" a bit! Or try another dealer...

I had the burnt oil smell for a few weeks in January. Pull into the garage and shut it off and there it was...concerning and annoying as hell.

I had an oil change a just before the burnt oil smell and thought that maybe the tech had spilled some oil, so I checked and then noticed that my oil had been over filled. Took it back to the tech and they "removed" a quantity of oil, and after a few weeks the smell went away.

I had oil on the DS exhaust manifold. I could only see the wet oil on edge of the vcg by using a mirror and flashlight. I then pulled the driver side coil cover and there was not any oil in coil/plug wells.

Not sure of the long term effects of overfilling...can it cause a leak?......have heard horror stories and have heard of no effect. This was back in January.

I guess I'm suggesting to check your oil level, but that sounds crazy...I know.

2002 LS V8 69K miles

Some of the possible effects of overfilling...

1. The crankshaft hits the oil and causes it to foam. This will cause a loss of oil pressure and poor lubrication that could lead to many internal failures and shortened engine life.

2. Excess pressure in the crankcase damages front and/or rear oil seals, and other seals.

3. The PVC system can pull oil into the intake manifold and gunk the intake up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back