Coil relocation?

DuKeNoMaD

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This may have been done...I admit I did not search...this is a flow of consciousness idea...has anyone tried doing a remote coil setup?. Like how they take the gm ones off the valve cover...and pop em on the firewall...ideas?

This may have been done...I admit I did not search...this is a flow of consciousness idea...has anyone tried doing a remote coil setup?. Like how they take the gm ones off the valve cover...and pop em on the firewall...ideas?

For what reason? Cooling? I don't think that is really a problem with them. The problem was that the epoxy they originally used couldn't handle the voltage. Other Ford/Lincoln of the same years had nearly as many problems with the coils and those were out in the open. The last sets of Motorcraft coils that I purchased (years ago) are still doing fine well over 100K miles later.
The set on my 04 outlasted the car itself. I think you are trying to solve a problem that has already been solved. That said, I would expect that adding a short coil wire could cause problems. It will change the impedance of the load, which will change the timing of the spark. I don't know if that change would be enough to cause problems or not. If you have a 2nd gen, the added RF noise of the wires may be enough to throw you into ETC failsafe.

Fair enough, fairly new to the ls game..and all I ever hear is ppl with misfires..just a thought I had. As mine started with a cyl 3,5 misfire but was easily solved with 1 new coil and one new boot. And thinking the problem was heat/vibration thought this might be a viable fix

Members online

Back