Coil relocation?

DuKeNoMaD

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This may have been done...I admit I did not search...this is a flow of consciousness idea...has anyone tried doing a remote coil setup?. Like how they take the gm ones off the valve cover...and pop em on the firewall...ideas?

joegr

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This may have been done...I admit I did not search...this is a flow of consciousness idea...has anyone tried doing a remote coil setup?. Like how they take the gm ones off the valve cover...and pop em on the firewall...ideas?

For what reason? Cooling? I don't think that is really a problem with them. The problem was that the epoxy they originally used couldn't handle the voltage. Other Ford/Lincoln of the same years had nearly as many problems with the coils and those were out in the open. The last sets of Motorcraft coils that I purchased (years ago) are still doing fine well over 100K miles later.
The set on my 04 outlasted the car itself. I think you are trying to solve a problem that has already been solved. That said, I would expect that adding a short coil wire could cause problems. It will change the impedance of the load, which will change the timing of the spark. I don't know if that change would be enough to cause problems or not. If you have a 2nd gen, the added RF noise of the wires may be enough to throw you into ETC failsafe.

DuKeNoMaD

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, fairly new to the ls game..and all I ever hear is ppl with misfires..just a thought I had. As mine started with a cyl 3,5 misfire but was easily solved with 1 new coil and one new boot. And thinking the problem was heat/vibration thought this might be a viable fix

Members online

No members online now.