coil question

LongIslandLSE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 v8

how do you find out what coils you need to replace, i was going to replace all eight. i got a price from team ford, $43 each, should i spend the $320 and do them all. Anyone know any place i can get them cheaper. My car hesitates and spudders between 40-60.

You will only know if you get a check engine light and can read the codes - it'll pinpoint the bad coil(s) that way. If it just hesitates and sputters, you're gonna either have to wait until that happens or change them all. I would check the plug wells first to see if you need valve cover gaskets, too. Makes no sense changing them all if you're leaking oil into the wells killing the coils.

yeah i have not had a cel, so i guess ill check them and then just wait to see if a cel pops, thanks nyc

just replace them all, why wait and deal with the problem longer, you can get a set of all 8 coils for $150 on ebay, and i've heard nothing but positive feedback from those that have done this. the valve cover gasket kits you should buy from teamford or someone like that, they should be about $35 each. and while you're at it change all 8 spark plugs for the best possible performance boost while doing this repair.

waiting for the CEL could take some time... my car has been misfiring for a long ass time and the code i pulled from the CEL is actually for the catalytic converter. i'd just get it over with.

Nice surpize.
Recieved a letter from Ford today, they are covering cost of repair for any malfunctioning coils on my 2005 LS V8 for 10 years. I had heard they sent this letter out for the 2003, so was nice to hear I am covered for my 2005 as well. Just thought I'd share.

Nice surpize.
Recieved a letter from Ford today, they are covering cost of repair for any malfunctioning coils on my 2005 LS V8 for 10 years. I had heard they sent this letter out for the 2003, so was nice to hear I am covered for my 2005 as well. Just thought I'd share.

We got the same letter today for our '04.

My question is, How do you prove it needs it? I mean, I can tell them there is oil in the plug wells.... will they check it out for free?

I wait until a check engine light comes on and says it's a coil this way they don't try and jerk me around. This last time I brought it in, I had a misfire on #6 and they wound up replacing the driver's side VC gasket, 3 boots, 1 coil and all four plugs for free.

did you buy a extended warrenty or are the coils covered for so many years 100,000 miles?

I took mine in and my mechanic plugged in a real time OBDII scanner. We drove around and he could tell what cylinders were misfiring. There was no check engine light on at the time but he could read it anyway. You might have to just wait for the CEL to come on though since most dealers probably wouldn't do a ride along with you.

Your better off replacing them all.

that is so gay.... why wouldn't they help out the 1st gen... I wonder if i could pull some strings with my brother in law and see if he can get them to do it for me.... my 2000 only has 66,000 miles

She started to get misfire about a month ago. Waited till the check engine light came on. Took her in yesterday and mention some other items that need to fixed and I went in today to get my free rental and the Trans guy had just driven my car in and said, "yes the solenoid pack is bad and has ordered one for replacement." He also mentioned that it was shifting real hard and that reverse to park, drive to reserve was real hard. I so happy that I purchased that ESP warranty. Oh so the rental car from Enterprise has to be a Ford product now. Because it's a Lincoln, must be given a upgrade on the rental. They handed me the keys to an '08 Edge. Pretty nice ride only has 6400 miles.

Not unless you got a letter from Ford.

You don't need the letter as long as your LS falls in guide line. They extended the warranty of the 2003 coil, VC gasket and spark plug. My 04 extended the warranty on the coil, and a one time fix for the wiper motor bracket seal and spark plugs that have been exposed to water. The VC gasket was improved on my year LS and there is no mention of oil contamination coils failure due to faulty VC gasket.

Ford blows! Why didn't they cover my '01 coils?
Anyway ,I never got a CEL,got tired of the miss and did the whole job.Gaskets,coils, and plugs!

Love the LS,hate Ford and the lame ass Lincoln division.

My LS is at the dealer till tom for coils -2nd time in 5k miles. It seems like they should replace all the coils on the first shot- it's costing me time and $100 each time (I have ESP) and it's prob costing the dealer more (or at least Ford).
I was wondering about the free rental, is that specific to certain dealers or is everyone entitled to one under the ESP plan? My car has been at the dealer since thurs, so it would have been nice to have another car.

ESP premium plans come with free rentals, I am not sure about deductible plans. I just know everytime I take my car in I get a rental and its covered. I believe its like 35$ a day or so and I usually have my pick on Town Cars, G35's and Maxima's.

just remember...its no use replacing the coils without replacing the valve cover gaskets. that is why they usually fail in the first place. i ordered the set of 8 on ebay. i wish i would have ordered the accel mustang coils now. i did the valve cover gasket, coils and put in new bosch platinums.
2934897_29.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934897/1

be careful of the "cheap coils" you should be spending around 50-60 dollars each. The good coils have a bridge right on the top, can't miss it. they were redesigned to help keep the coils cooler. not just oil that kills them. Info from a tech show I attended.

it's true there are other reasons the coils can fail, there is an interesting thread that i believe cammtheman started on here a few months back where he took a survey to see how peoples' coils failed. it was pretty simple, "oil" or "no oil" present in the coil boots, but it was interesting to see the responses. most commented they saw oil but at least 30% said no oil.

Members online

No members online now.
Back