COIL PAK Replacement

Bimmer

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need a new coil pak for number 4 cyl. on my V8 Ls. Is this an easy fix? Should I change the plug and wire also. Car has 67K on it and the warning light just came on today. Thank you

They are not 'coil paks', they are 'coil on plugs'. There is no plug wire, only a wire harness that you shouldnt need to change. You should always change the plug when you change a COP

They are not 'coil paks', they are 'coil on plugs'. There is no plug wire, only a wire harness that you shouldnt need to change. You should always change the plug when you change a COP

And you might as well do them all (coils & plugs). The others aren't far behind and it's easy enough.

attachment.gif

Best to replace all of the COP'S and plugs at the same time. One goes bad, then another and so on... Most of the work is removing the rear bolts. The rest seems fairly easy. It gets a little expensive.

.. and don't bother using any COPs other than Motorcraft unless you're going to do the Accel conversion, or else you'll be back here within weeks or months wondering why you're still misfiring even though you just changed COPs and plugs.

And if (when) you find oil in the plug wells, it's because you need to replace the valve cover gaskets.

I've been on LVC frequently for two years and the first two spark plug wire questions I've seen occur in the same week?

well it is kinda common when you join to get a problem solved, then you disappear for years until the next problem arises...

hell I cant remember the last time there wasn't at least one COP/misfiring thread on the front page. #SearchingNotNeeded

I've been on LVC frequently for two years and the first two spark plug wire questions I've seen occur in the same week?

yeah, somehow we've been able to go a couple of years without that being asked.

I would like to say, well at least were not getting redundant threads about overheating and misfires, BUT.......​

on a more serious note, if your "warning" light just came on, then you really must have serious problem with your pack of coils.

At least from my experience, the light only comes on after you have been ignoring the problem for way too long.

For those who actually answered my question with out a reference or a stupid response for me not being on the forum since 2005. THANK YOU!!! For those who made the reference, I sold my LS in 2005 and just bought another one last week. Don't think I will ask many questions in the future.

So i am assuming your pic in the pic thread is your new LS. More info? Its blue, looks like a gen 1 LSE but has a standard grille and standard wheels, front bumper has no lower grille (CDC bumper?). It looks nice, any other mods?

No mods, no nicks , no scratches , it was owned by a little old lady. I am the 2nd owner. Has brand new tires. I am friends with the Local Lincoln dealer he called me on it as soon as she traded it in I drove it home the same day

So i am assuming your pic in the pic thread is your new LS. More info? Its blue, looks like a gen 1 LSE but has a standard grille and standard wheels, front bumper has no lower grille (CDC bumper?). It looks nice, any other mods?

Yeah I didn't think blue was an lse color for 02 ? It's odd that it has chrome grille & standard wheels with lse goodies ( ? )

gotta love a little old lady that likes to mod her car!

I drove to Hites last weekend, got passed by a dark red 1st gen... as he passed, it turned out to be a 90yo man that could barely see over the wheel (just two sets of knuckles and some hair!)... he passed me going 80. I followed him for 30 miles and had touble keeping up... weaving in and out of traffic, passing on the right... It was the best, My face hurt from smiling and laughing behind him! I dont think he even noticed me, never looked over once the few times i got beside him.... Greatest day ever!.

and if they are going to cover it, I would make sure they test ALL of the coils, not just the one that the car tells you is failing. its pretty much a guarantee that you have more that wont pass, if it was me, I would also pay them to replace any plugs and coils they dont replace jsut so they are all new and fresh and you'll know that its going to be problem free (well at least for coil related misfires.)

but then again, I though ford extending the warranty to cover such problems was only on (some) 2nd gens... so they might just be trying to help you out and not going to run the proper test for free.

Members online

Back