Coil-On-Plug Question?

DAY1LSFAN

LVC Member
Reaction score
Do anyone know if there is a way to test COP's without having to go to the dealer?

I know one of my COP's is bad(again), I just need to locate which one.

No check engine light, but I know when one is going bad.

honestly 9/10th of the work is just getting to them. But you can read this article.

http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/counterpoints/counterp_v4_i3_2000.pdf

or check with your local autozone to see if they have a coil tester. If you are going to dig into the engine I would recommend at least having 1 or 2 coils on hand. No sense and dismantling everything without having the parts on hand.

which LS do you have V6 or v8?

That's the thing! I went to autozone and they said that for COP's they have to be tested while in the vehicle with an engine analyzer. I hope there is another option.

I know about visual boot test(look for burnout around the boot or loose fitting boot). As it stands, I have five good COP's in(2 just bought). I have 3 more in vehicle that's has little or no burnout evidence, but the boot is loose fitting.

If no one has a better suggestion, I will just have to order three more coils($120 more dollars).

I have the V-8!

DAY1LSFAN said:
That's the thing! I went to autozone and they said that for COP's they have to be tested while in the vehicle with an engine analyzer. I hope there is another option.

right - their ODBII tester will only pull codes from a stored fault condition - meaning the CEL is on. if your car isn't currently in a fault mode - they would have to hook it up to a realtime anaylzer and run the car until it demonstrated the issue.

You're right Quik. When my second COP incident happen it hesitated badly, that's when engine light finally popped on. Plug 6 misfired. I replaced it,but come to find out, #3 was bad as well. Because there firing order was back-to-back one finally triggered.

Basically, PCM won't trigger a warning unless one is completely gone or if multiple COP's are malfunctioning.

THIS MY THEORY! I COULD BE FALSE!

LBK_LS said:
Quik.. Would the AutoEnginuity Scantool be able to find it?

not sure - I'll check tonight and see if some of the cycle tests would find it.

Looking at my ScanTool last night - I believe it can. There are several drive cycle tests - one is labeled 'Misfire test......' but I can't be sure cause mine passes ;)

Quik LS said:
Looking at my ScanTool last night - I believe it can. There are several drive cycle tests - one is labeled 'Misfire test......' but I can't be sure cause mine passes ;)

are you talking about the mode 6 test on the last tab of the autoenginuity application? I did register my misfire on #5 cylinder. Plus it show the misfire DTC for #5 in pending. I think it is P0405. The handheld units like autozone use do not show pending codes.

el eS, do you have the Ford/Lincoln upgrade for the AutoEnginuity that QuikLS has? Or you just using the tool w/out the upgrade???

LBK_LS said:
el eS, do you have the Ford/Lincoln upgrade for the AutoEnginuity that QuikLS has? Or you just using the tool w/out the upgrade???

I have purchased the extend code set but the mode 6 tests are part of the standard application capabilities

eL eS said:
are you talking about the mode 6 test on the last tab of the autoenginuity application? I did register my misfire on #5 cylinder. Plus it show the misfire DTC for #5 in pending. I think it is P0405. The handheld units like autozone use do not show pending codes.

I have the Autoxray Model 5000 handheld unit and it shows pending codes. I think this is the same unit Autozone uses. I have used mine to find a bad COP.

I just looked that unit up and it certainly does not look like the one my autzone has. My local does not have the ability to define manufacturer specific codes like this model.

Considering the cost I doubt that autozone corp office would approve of fielding such expensive units considering pilferage. It would hurt to ask your local autozones though if they do have them certainly would save some money.

The scan tool that my local Autozone uses is called an Actron model# CP9135.
It simply reads & erases codes, read pending codes,I/M monitors and MIL status.
So basically, it only reads active codes.

I need some type of scan tool that can not only do these things, but also analyze and perform diagnostics.

Anyone know a tool like that?

By the way, I replaced the remaining three COP's, put on new valve cover gaskets, installed Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs. Went to Valvoline to have a complete transmission flush, fuel system clean out and antifreeze back flush/replacement. All this a grand total of $372.

Costly, but my LS is running like it's brand new fresh off the lot!

sounds a lot cheaper than Lincoln will do that service for though. You would be hard pressed to get out of their shop for less that 600 dollars.

The scan tool quik ls and I have can perform many of the same drivetrain and sub-systems test that the delaer would carry out if you have the extended code set. The basic tool comes with enough to help you ID pending and stored DTCs. It will perform mode 6 obdii checks and you can log to a file while driving and play it back later.

The oftware also comes with a program called speed tracer that is an adhoc dyno of sorts. go to www.autoenginuity.com and read all about it. Email the owner/developer/support guy IIR his name is Jason Horak. Firendly folks and always answered every question I sent and I am sure they were all dumb questions.

Members online

No members online now.
Back