Coil Misfire Experts Please HELP ! Strange

jgscott

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I have replaced about 3 coils over the last year. Done it Myself, what a PITA the Driver side back wall is to get to.

Here's my Problem and question, my car is skipping under load just like the times when the other coil packs went. It's been at least 500 plus miles and I was waiting on a CEL so I could tell which one it was. IT has not given me a CEL and I had it read the other day and it found NO codes. I'm tired of it suddering and skipping under load while driving.

1.Whats the best way to try and figure out which coil pack ?

2. Is it possible because it's not giving a misfire code that it's not a coil pack ?

3. Why would the CEL not come on, if I drive easy you can't tell, but when I go to pass a car or get out of a street in traffic it skips and shudders.

Experts on this please help. THANKS

my coils were bad for quite some time and never threw a cel until it got pretty bad. as far as changing coils, the first time i changed only the ones that come in on the reader, 3 and 7 i believe. got those fixed and car drove fine for about 30 minutes then it would studder if i pushed through 3/4 throttle so instead of going through and trying to pin point the single coil(s) i just saved the headache and replaced all plugs and coils and havent had the problem since. all in all cost me around $450, well worth it to me just to have it over with

It is difficult and time consuming replacing just one or two coils. You would be far ahead of the game to change all 8. (Please post the year and engine of your car. It's much easier to answer your question!)

Ebay has them for about $150 shipped for all 8. Also change all 8 of the spark plugs. Before you do any of this, inspect the cam/valve covers and make sure they are not leaking oil into the spark plug wells. You can change all of this at once instead of screwing around trying to do one at a time.

Our cars are getting older and maintance must be done!!

It is difficult and time consuming replacing just one or two coils. You would be far ahead of the game to change all 8. (Please post the year and engine of your car. It's much easier to answer your question!)

Ebay has them for about $150 shipped for all 8. Also change all 8 of the spark plugs. Before you do any of this, inspect the cam/valve covers and make sure they are not leaking oil into the spark plug wells. You can change all of this at once instead of screwing around trying to do one at a time.

Our cars are getting older and maintance must be done!!

agreed, and ive bought coils when one goes bad and like a day later that one goes bad. i keep extra coils and plugs in my car when i take trips. ive had a problem blowin spark plugs apart which breaks the coilpack with it. but then again i have alot of problems with mine

Just a minor point here. They are not "coil packs." They are COPs (Coil On Plug). Coil packs are an older technology where two are three coils were made into to one assembly. Each coil would fire two plugs, so each assembly would fire four or six plugs (V8s used two coil packs). COPs are a single coil per assembly, and each coil fires only one spark plug.

I was once on the side of replace each one as they fail. I am now on the side of replace them all once any start to fail.

Just a minor point here. They are not "coil packs." They are COPs (Coil On Plug). Coil packs are an older technology where two are three coils were made into to one assembly. Each coil would fire two plugs, so each assembly would fire four or six plugs (V8s used two coil packs). COPs are a single coil per assembly, and each coil fires only one spark plug.

I was once on the side of replace each one as they fail. I am now on the side of replace them all once any start to fail.

coil on plug, coil packs what the hell ever. you know what i mean. when you buy them they call them coil packs. and im probably bigger than you so just agree with me. lol

Be careful buying cop's on ebay. I ordered a set, seller said "absolutely the right ones for an LS" Bull$h*t. Were completely different, bent boots, and wouldn't mount at all (as the mounting tab was completely incorrect). Stay away from ebay seller Global. Ended up buying at O'Reillys for about $450. No problems since.

Intermitent miss will not throw a cel. Best way to check is start unplugging fuel injectors untill you pull one and the idle does not change. This only works if it misses at idle.

I have heard good things about ebay seller "alanisdeals" on these forums. I ordered a set of 8 for $200 and should be getting them today. I'll try to reply back after I install them and see if there are any issues.

Its not too bad a job, so I'm waiting to to see if I need valve cover gaskets until I actually get in there and see. If so, I'll probably continue with the install just to stop the misfire (mine occurs at light throttle in 5th gear, especially uphill) and then go back in if the gaskets are bad.

It sure would be nice to mount the new coils outside the valve cover, maybe encased in an aluminum heat sink or something, and run some plug wires down in.

...Its not too bad a job, so I'm waiting to to see if I need valve cover gaskets until I actually get in there and see. If so, I'll probably continue with the install just to stop the misfire (mine occurs at light throttle in 5th gear, especially uphill) and then go back in if the gaskets are bad...

If there is oil in the plug wells, it will damage the new boots on your new coils and could quickly lead to failure of the new coils.

Be careful buying cop's on ebay. I ordered a set, seller said "absolutely the right ones for an LS" Bull$h*t. Were completely different, bent boots, and wouldn't mount at all (as the mounting tab was completely incorrect). Stay away from ebay seller Global. Ended up buying at O'Reillys for about $450. No problems since.

I have an 8 pack of some of those same coils sitting in my garage. Everything seemed the same except the electrical connector - it was not a true fit. I went ahead and purchased the OEM's and completed the job. Always wondered if the cheaper ones would have worked as the metal parts of the electrical connection seemed to touch one another but I didn't want to chance it - I would have kicked myself if one had come loose or I had screwed something up worse just to save a few bucks....

I've been runnin on the ones from alanis deals for about a month now and they are great... and they cost $144 with free shipping. They even looked identical to the original ones.

I've been runnin on the ones from alanis deals for about a month now and they are great... and they cost $144 with free shipping. They even looked identical to the original ones.

I know this is quite a few years later, but just curious if you had any problems down the road with those coils. I want to replace all 8 of mine and would LOVE to save some money, only if I know I won't face any problems with them in the near future.

Members online

No members online now.
Back