Coil finally died on my 04

AndrewCoja

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have been having what I thought here transmission problems. Every once in a while, the transmission would drop out of gear. I finally took it in to have it checked out and they said that a coil had gone out. Could a coil going out and causing engine shaking cause the transmission to slip out of gear?

abosultely! When I first purchased my 2000 LS, I knew thing about the bad coils on these things. My car would spit and sputter a little but while driving around the 40-60mph range, and it got so bad that it began causing transmission type symptoms (when trying to accelerate the car would sometimes just stop moving and the RMP's would reev up really high like the trans was slipping) Im assuming this is exactly what your experiencing, but if you change the coil this will stop.

Yeah same here. My '02 V8 has a bad coil. I was worried that it was the tranny because it would get so rough about 2,000 RPM and sometimes when I would slowly accelerate from 60-70mph. One day the thing kept changing gears and the tach was jumping all over the place...poor car just didn't know what the F to do! As soon as my taxes come back I am just going to fix everything right: coils, plugs and all of the gaskets for the valve covers and o-rings. Good luck with yours!

Ok, thanks. As long as I wasn't getting screwed. Though looks like they only replaced one coil (wish I had known it was the coils, I would have taken it to Ford). I'll have to wait for another to fail and take it up to ford and get them all replaced under warranty.

Members online

Back