Coil Conversion Done (56k) (Long, Pic-heavy post)

JMiles_T

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This winter seems to have finished off my one of my front airbags.

Leaving the office, I found my car in the parking garage, slammed. I started up the car and waited for it to pump back up. The fenders raised about a centimeter above the tires. 'Hmmm' I thought. I cut the engine, intending to start it again and let it pump some more. I turn the key, and not a damn thing happens. No click, no nothing. I immediately realized, the starter fried.

:soapbox:

I had to coast the thing to the bottom floor of the garage to meet the wrecker. Hitting the speed bumps on the way down with no air in my front bags made me cringe. Not having power steering didn't make it any more enjoyable.

It's been several weeks since then. I've since installed another starter.
About few days after that, my coil conversion kit arrived. I ordered the kit from Strutmasters. It goes for $475 plus shipping as of this date.

With my gold membership, I was charged $359.25 + $50 for shipping.

BTW, this is for the 1.5" lowered kit.

I started installing the kit Thursday night, and finished earlier today. It can be done faster but I have no garage at home, and it's been cold outside.

Boxes.jpg

Coils.jpg

Strut.jpg

Sensatrac.jpg

I was expecting Gabriel brand shocks, but this is fine with me. :biggrin:

Slammed.jpg

Time to get to work.

RemoveFront.jpg

This is the driver's side.

StrutTower1.jpg

Unbolting the the air strut.

TwistToAlign.jpg

...needed to give it a twist to align the strut bolts with the bolt holes.

Everything was going smoothly until it was time to re-install the swaybar end-links. I apparently damaged the threads while pushing it through the hole on the spindle because the nut would not thread back on. This really slowed me down. Trying to turn the nut on the link only made the whole balljoint rotate.

Murphy's Law in full effect...

GrindinLink.jpg

I got past this part by wearing down flat spots on the end-link, using my Dremel and a flapwheel attachment.

FlatEdges.jpg

Grippin.jpg

Okay.jpg

I was glad to be past this cr@p.

I was then able to use a wrench to hold the balljoint still, while I repeatedly twisted on and removed the nut to get all the threads to realign. When it became relatively easy to put the nut back on, I torqued it down, put everything back together and called it a night.

I did the passenger side the following evening. The strut on that side was definitely the leaky one.

Rear Coils

TopOfSprings.jpg

Notice the flattened edge on the spring. This is the top.

RubberMat.jpg

Two of these rubber mats came with the kit. I saw nothing about them in the included documentation, so I'm hoping that I installed it properly.

My shock bolt is 18mm. My end-link bolts are 13mm.

SCPLinks.jpg

I ordered new rear end-links from SCP that are made with lowered cars in mind.

LinkInstall1.jpg

LinkInstall2.jpg

LinkInstall3.jpg

LinkInstall4.jpg

LinkInstall5.jpg

LinkInstall6.jpg

LinkInstall7.jpg

After I lowered the car to the ground, I torqued the link to spec.

OldLinks.jpg

Air Ride Message

I removed the fuse for the air compressor from the high current fuse box.

MC1.jpg

MC2.jpg

MC3.jpg

MC4.jpg

KP1.jpg

Harness1.jpg

Harness2.jpg

Wire cut.

BackUGo.jpg

Back it goes.

SwitchOn.jpg

Turned switch back on.

I'll be keeping the electronics, solenoids, compressor, and spider valve for the time being.

The rear air bags were purchased about a year ago. They are Arnott brand bags. I'm sell them to whoever wants them. The front struts are also available (if they're worth anything to anyone). Just don't wait too long to ask. I don't want them in the house long; they're taking up space.

How does it ride?

I don't know; I haven't driven it yet. I'm still kinda cold and tired and don't much feel like driving. I'll post when I do.

Members online

Back