Code white front shocks on closeout. $12 each.

They will look just like the picture and just like the two on the shelf in my storage room.

I bought a pair last week and they look correct. Going to wait to put them in the LS until I get some more miles racked up on it. But for $12 I could not pass them up. Look like OEM and they have the white sticker on them.

I dont even have the spare money and I might buy some. Lol.

That's insane!

i ordered some and got them today. looks like a stock shock but there was no band holding the strut rod down and it looks like with the bump stop on it the strut only travels about an inch or two before it stops on the bump stop. Is that how short the travel is on these or did I get some that are messed up?

i ordered some and got them today. looks like a stock shock but there was no band holding the strut rod down and it looks like with the bump stop on it the strut only travels about an inch or two before it stops on the bump stop. Is that how short the travel is on these or did I get some that are messed up?

The shocks don't need the support strap. They will not open up like a Monroe/KYB etc. I worked on my right front shock/strut last night and replaced the upper mount as a stud had broken. Compressing the springs on these is not easy. At least it can be done on the bench, but the springs need lots of compression to get the assembly apart. Not a job for the faint hearted. Do this with a good spring compressor and think it though before making a bad move. Lots of energy in a compressed spring. All in all my original shocks on my '00 looked still had tight compression and the rubber components on the shock mount looked in good shape despite the age. When changing these out make certain that the mount is correctly oriented. The bolt are not 90 degrees apart. It is like 75 degrees, 105 degrees, 75 degrees, 105 degrees. Look at the shock mount before taking it off and make certain the bolts on the top are oriented correctly or you will be compressing the spring again to move it like I did last night.

The shocks don't need the support strap. They will not open up like a Monroe/KYB etc. I worked on my right front shock/strut last night and replaced the upper mount as a stud had broken. Compressing the springs on these is not easy. At least it can be done on the bench, but the springs need lots of compression to get the assembly apart. Not a job for the faint hearted. Do this with a good spring compressor and think it though before making a bad move. Lots of energy in a compressed spring. All in all my original shocks on my '00 looked still had tight compression and the rubber components on the shock mount looked in good shape despite the age. When changing these out make certain that the mount is correctly oriented. The bolt are not 90 degrees apart. It is like 75 degrees, 105 degrees, 75 degrees, 105 degrees. Look at the shock mount before taking it off and make certain the bolts on the top are oriented correctly or you will be compressing the spring again to move it like I did last night.

So do your struts only have maybe half inch of the rod showing above the bump stop before the threads? It doesn't seem like these struts have much travel to them. Does anyone cut the bump stop off? I can see how short the spring has to be to fit on it so it must be under a lot of tension like you said.

The rear shocks especially have a short amount of travel, check any site that details the struts motion. It's about 2.3 inches I think..

I thought the lavender, special suspension was sport. That's what I ordered a couple of years ago...

I remember the fronts and rears being different colors. Looking at fordparts, the other possible front color is green. It specifies the rear sports are lavender, but it doesn't say anything about the fronts. It lists one green shock as "All V8s" and has an unmarked one just noted as "retail spec"

Don't know what to make of it, but I'm pretty sure the rear sports are in fact purple

So do your struts only have maybe half inch of the rod showing above the bump stop before the threads? It doesn't seem like these struts have much travel to them. Does anyone cut the bump stop off? I can see how short the spring has to be to fit on it so it must be under a lot of tension like you said.

Yes, these front shocks only travel a small amount. The geometry of the front suspension allows the normal wheel travel while only using the shock's small amount of travel due to the shock's relative distance from the lower control arm pivot point.

As far as cutting down the bump stops, that is required when using lowering springs. And if you use lowering springs, the spring compresses much more easily, craigh! I agree though, there is no room for error when compressing stock springs. Using even amounts of bolt tightening from side to side is also crucial, as you will see no way to get the socket on the compression tool if you went too far on the opposite side.

Members online

Back