Cobra Rs, Bullits or other???

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying some new wheels for my baby (1993 Mark VIII), so far I have three candidates, the Bullits, Cobra Rs or the Armano Hampton.

I really like the first pic of midnite drifters LvC contest winning Mark VIII and I was floored when I saw Big Bills Mark with Bullits for the first time (second pic). But, I don't like every Mark I have seen them on. I'm not sure if it is the specific brand of wheel, the tire size or just the overall stance of the car that makes a difference.

I'm also split between chrome or polished. I am leaning towards the polished Bullits at this point. The Cragar SS is a very similar looking wheel that I'm considering as well.

For tires I'm looking at 245/40/18s up front and 275/35/18s out back. I would like to go wider in the rear if possible, say maybe a 295 or 315! :):):)

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Kale

P.S. Chrome directionals (with tires) soon to be for sale (cheap!)

18x9 Bullits:

mndrifter_1.jpg

bigbill1.jpg

18x9 Cobra Rs

green_mark_cobra_rs.jpg

black_mark_cobra_rs.jpg

Armano Hamptons:

armano_hampton.jpg

Last edited:
Me personally.....no offense to anyone that has them, but I do not like the Cobra wheels on the Mark.

Do not get me wrong, the look good, but they are P L A Y E D out....IMHO that is. I would lean more towards the Bullits, but like you said, they do not look good on ALL Marks. They look incredible on Midnite Drifters ryde, and they looked just as good on Big Bills car....but they are starting to get played like the Cobra's are.

I like the third wheel, but there are SO many other rims out there that look better....again IMHO that is. If I were to pick from the 3 you have decided on....here is the selection order....for me:

1) Armano Hampton
2) Bullit
3) Cobra (i would put Pinto wheels on my car before Cobra wheels....but MHO)

Also, if you go with any of them, I would go with chrome. The reason being, I have had aluminum (18 inch Boyd Blasters on my truck) wheels, and it is a ROYAL P I T A to keep them clean. NO matter what you do. You have to keep on them constantly, and IF it rains on them.....clean/wax them BEFORE they dry and you have water spots on them or you will be polishing them for hours to get the water spots off. Now, they have this thing called Zoop Seal, that is supposed to seal them for up to 2 years, I have not tried it...YET, but I know a few ppl that have and they swear by it. So, I would go with chrome...again...IMHO.

I like this wheel better than the ones you already posted it is called the Armano Dunamis.....dare I mention....IMHO????

armanodunamis.jpg

My Vote 18x9 Bullits. More American Muscle Look but I,m over 35

man who cares if its PLAYED out, its what you like, they just so happen to look badass, get the bullits, I am, I mean come on how many mark VIIIs do YOU see with cobra rims let alone bullits, in your town.

Man I thought the exact same thing about the Cobra Rs AND the Bullits, but as alreay mentioned, no one in my area has a Mark with Bullits, and I've only seen a couple of T-Birds with Cobra Rs.

My thinking is that in the 18x9 variety and with 275s out back, it would be a drastic improvement over my current wheels, even though I still think the stock chrome directionals look really good.

I'm still looking for that perfect wheel and it'll probably be a couple of weeks at least before I decide. The fat-boy-bling-bling wheels are definitely out. I want something that "fits" the car's personality. The Hampton has the same type of shape as the Bullits and I really think they would look good on a Mark, I just don't want to spend the dough only to wish I had went with something else.

Kale

Last edited:
I feel all ya on this, that is why through my whole post I put....IMHO. It is all the persons preference on what he/she wants and thinks looks good on their car. I like the look of the Cobra's, but I have seen WAY too many with those wheels on their cars. For me they do not necessarily have to be the BLING BLING, but they have to be something that no one else has on the specific car that I own/drive. I (that is MHO) do not like to follow, not to say that I have not, but I would rather not follow someone elses lead (unless it is proven horsepower....then I am all there). I like going to a show and knowing that either I am the first with 'this or that' than seeing the same thing on 1 or 2 other cars.

Look at the rims I had on the AssassinVIIIor, now they were BLING....I mean you could not stare at them in direct sunlight or you might go blind, but there was only one other person that had those wheels on their Mark, and he even said that he liked my wheels and after seeing them on my car he was going to get them for himself. Now, THAT is what I like to hear....someone following my lead (hahahahahaha).

But, just keep in mind what type of wheel you are going to use. I LOVE the Bullits (my Dad has ARE Torque Thrust II's on his Chevelle, and they look AWESOME), but if you do not go chrome you will be polishing the hell out of them all the time.....to keep them perfect.(unless you park in the garage....like my dad does with his Chevelle).

I like the Bullitt's, but go with what you want. I would not go above 18's, and you might want to consider 17's. Polished rims are harder to damage, but also harder to maintain. And although they do shine up real nice, they still aren't quite as "bling" as chrome. Just a few things to think about.

So has anyone ever dealt with customwheelsmarket.com?

The 18x9 Bullits are $235 each, with FREE shipping!

Kale

djKale said:
So has anyone ever dealt with customwheelsmarket.com?

The 18x9 Bullits are $235 each, with FREE shipping!

Kale
That doesn't sound like a bad deal...are they polished or chrome? Check e-bay and see if you can get them any cheaper. I know you can get the normal Bullitt rims off of ebay for a lot less than that, but they are 17x8 and painted.

10" wheels for 315's

If you go as high as 295 or 315 wide you should think about 10" wide rear wheels. The attached pic shows my '94 Cobra with 17x9 fr and 17x10 rear. The tires are 245.45.17 fr and 315.35.17 rr. This set has all of the offset to the inside so they match fr/rr from the outside. I don't know about the inner fender clearance on your car, but the 315's are pretty much at the max for the Mustang. This car also has a 2" drop.

On Trailer.jpg

Cobra R's and Bullitts are the ONLY two rims I'd ever consider putting on a Mark 8, so I could relate to this thread. Cobra R's are indeed played out, but only because they look incredible on a Mark. They are strictly business, five spoke street style rims, not to mention they are Ford factory. Bullitt's only recently became popular, not sure why, but I think they look slightly better. Maybe more interesting, more attractive to the eye? I had them on my 91 LSC, 17x9" and I never stopped getting compliments until the day she retired. I think I'm going to go with the same choice when I feel it's time to upgrade my wheels and tires, but I can't decide if this time I will get polished. Chrome is too much shine, too heavy, and need too much taking care of. Plus, polished is cheaper. But, polished won't match the chrome on the front end as nicely as chrome.

BTW, I think midnight drifter's are Torque Thrust II's from American Racing. They are a little different from Bullitt's, that may be why you like some better than others.

Well I decided the Bullits were the way to go, but they are no longer being made. There's another guy who got a set for $400 off ebay so I was hoping to be patient and get a similar deal. The Mustang Bullits go for about that much on ebay all day long.

I was told that there would most likely be another manufacturer out there making the Bullit style wheel in our bolt pattern in a couple of months.

Kale

Kale, I saw Jibit's rims and tires laast night and was impressed. 17x8or(9) sporting 275's all around. Looked sinister. I'll probably sell my OctaStars next spring and put on some new shoes at that time.

Yeah, and thats before he blacked out the chrome trim on the trunk. Love those straight tails too... BTW those aren't Bullitts, they are torque thrust II replicas I believe. Same general design though.

This is an old thread, since I made this post I decided that I wanted Cobra R's... but now my mind is shifting once again

Since this topic was renewed I suppose an update is in order...I ended up getting that great deal off ebay on a set of 18x9" Bullits, but only after getting another great deal on a set of 20" Enkei Kapones. I am definitely keeping the 20s and would like to sell the 18s to buy wheels for my Caddy.

Anyone interested gimme a holler. They are brand spanking new, unopened, still in the boxes. They are Polished and made by Dante Designs. I'm asking $600 OBO for the set. kalekainioa@comcast.net

Kale

I was thinking about stock rims In front and 17X9 bullits in back, keep some what of a stock look up front and badass out back

Ummm thats the most RETARDED thing i have ever heard... Are you serious???

Please tell me thats a joke?!?!

OMG PLEASE!

I seen it on a mark around were I live, It really wasent that bad he took the lincoln lug nut cover off and put a chrome center cap and chrome lug nuts the stock rims came out looking like drag wheels and he had bullits in back. It look pretty good I never seen a mark with stock rims without the lug nut cover.

Members online

No members online now.
Back