Clunk Clunk

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got an annoying clunk that I am trying to track down, but am having trouble. At first I thought U-Joints, but now I am not sure. Heres the scoop. One day while driving about 70 down the interstate, I noticed a hell of a pop and a "jerk" when I pressed on the gas. Its more noticable at higher speeds, and esp. noticiable when the TQ Converter is in Lockup. If I let off the gas and let it coast, I can almost feel it "catch up" to whatever has play in it. Then when I even LIGHTLY press the gas, you hear and feel the "pop" through the car. My dad got up under it as I put it between R/D/R/D and held the brakes, but said he didn't see the D/S moving at all like any U-Joint play. He said he did notice the Passenger side CV inner joint looking like it was popping up/down, which doesn't necescarily tell me anything. IF anyone could give me some clues as to where to start, and how to "properly" diagnose these things, please let me know.

Thanks

hes got a mark VIII, I recently got a pop nose when I put it in reverse and when I put it back into drive. could be bad bushings, lose drive shaft bolts

I have heard a lot of VIII owners with problems somewhat similar to this one. The problem is that there are so many bushings on the car, let alone the entire suspension, that there are just so many possibilities. And that's the tough part about a forum; we cannot see under your car. From what I have seen your best bet is to get under the car and try to inspect everything as close as possible. Then you might see where the issue is. Good luck!

WackyWRZ said:
Hey guys, I got an annoying clunk that I am trying to track down, but am having trouble. At first I thought U-Joints, but now I am not sure. Heres the scoop. One day while driving about 70 down the interstate, I noticed a hell of a pop and a "jerk" when I pressed on the gas. Its more noticable at higher speeds, and esp. noticiable when the TQ Converter is in Lockup. If I let off the gas and let it coast, I can almost feel it "catch up" to whatever has play in it. Then when I even LIGHTLY press the gas, you hear and feel the "pop" through the car. My dad got up under it as I put it between R/D/R/D and held the brakes, but said he didn't see the D/S moving at all like any U-Joint play. He said he did notice the Passenger side CV inner joint looking like it was popping up/down, which doesn't necescarily tell me anything. IF anyone could give me some clues as to where to start, and how to "properly" diagnose these things, please let me know.

Thanks

fix mind i changed my diff. bushings it seem to be better then i bought a new rear diff. mount from max and no more cluck!

Members online

Back